The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was moving a pallet of firewood with 2 other guys at work and my foot got caught between the two wheels on the pallet jack and ran up pretty much to my ankle. Going for xrays in about 20 minutes when my mother gets home. In the meantime, awesome pics of my foot in its current state. Yes, I'm icing it and elevating it for the time being.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Currently waiting at urgent care for an xray. Wait isn't too bad. Pain progressively getting worse though. :(

they dont make you wear steeltoes? they will now....settle outta court for a 75gal w/ aquasoil

/foolish
Haha. My boss is like family though...I'm not out for cash. It's a grocery store so it was just a freak incident (we sell firewood for upcoming fall/winter). Might invest in some good steel toed boots though.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I'm sure they'll set you right with pain medication, for sure! Wow - really hoping you get some relief soon. From the looks of where the swelling is - doesn't appear steel toe boots would have spared much.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Would be better than broken for sure. However, very tender and hurts to put pressure on it.

Update: Boot, crutches, anti-inflammatories/pain killers. Doc said it's probably a hairline fracture but it's not showing up that well on the xray, so they'll do another one Monday to see how it's doing. It's basically just a massive hemotoma right now...and it feels wonderful.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Would be better than broken for sure. However, very tender and hurts to put pressure on it.

Update: Boot, crutches, anti-inflammatories/pain killers. Doc said it's probably a hairline fracture but it's not showing up that well on the xray, so they'll do another one Monday to see how it's doing. It's basically just a massive hemotoma right now...and it feels wonderful.
Haha guest right. Sounds just like what I had. I have also had experience with pallets and my feet. I had a pallet of 40lb dog food bags stacked over 6ft with 3 or 4 columns of them on a pallet lowered onto my foot right where all my toes are connected to the main part of my foot. None broken surprisingly.

·
Registered
142 Posts

Sounds like the pain meds are kicking in. LOL.

Heal quickly!

Julia

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Pain meds? They only gave me 800mg of Ibuprofen to help with the swelling. The "it feels wonderful" was a lovely bit of sarcasm since I was in a good bit of pain then. :( It's surprisingly not painful now that the swelling has gone down. Definitely resting well, elevating it and icing it. Pressure on the fracture was probably what was causing all of the discomfort. The boot sucks, though. My mom thought it'd be funny to get revenge on me for making fun of her having to wear double boots for her bad Achilles tendons by making sure the straps were extra snug....you can imagine the expression on my face. :( Thanks for all the caring support folks!

@radioman: I know all about those dog food pallets, except our bags are 50lbs and pending on custom orders about 5-6ft tall, so about the same. 24-pack water pallets are second only to that firewood pallet though....I swear they get heavier every year. I guarantee you I won't be on the driving end next time.

More details like I promised: If anyone has ever used a pallet jack this will make much more sense to you. Basically, a pallet jack is a manually operated hydraulic pump that is used to elevate wooden/plastic pallets. Our particular model has two larger rubber-metal wheels at the base that you steer it with. My foot went BETWEEN those two (which, is slightly smaller than the width of my foot thus) and rolled up to about my ankle. Keep in mind, I'm about 6'2" and 164lbs when they weighed me today. I am a tall, skinny white boy. :) I also wear a size 12 wide shoe. So, wide boney foot + huge weight in small space = lots of pressure = hematoma and hairline fracture. Thankfully it didn't roll over my foot or that would've been a whole lot worse.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
I broke my toe 3 weeks ago when my kid knocked over a bar stool in the basement. I wore a boot till yesterday. Still not 100% but such is life.

Walking around up and down stairs, carrying patients and stretchers and equipment while wearing a boot sucks.

And safety toe boots prob would have protected enough to prevent most of it. I prefer nylon safety toe. Much lighter.

If you aren't used to wearing boots, find light ones. HEavy ones will wear you out more than you might imagine.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah, they gave me a small one but it's still rather heavy. Works very well, though. I'm actually not even using it right now since I can get around pretty well barefoot around my house...thinking I'll try walking a bit with my work shoes (New Balances with Dr. Scholl's in them....things feel great). Also, I'm not sure how the steel toed boots would've worked out on that. They would've made my foot too wide to even fit between the wheels and hmm...I'll leave that open to speculation. But, basically my foot went between those two red wheels (not ran over by them, just smushed between) in Optix's picture.

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
here's a post to share the pain

Doc re-attached all the tendons (flexor ?) on the inside of my elbow last Tuesday.
hurts like hell when it gets bumped or moves still.

pain heals, chick dig scars, stupid lasts forever LOL

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Woot woot to the elbow. I've got a scar from when I had to have my left elbow fixed with 3 pins in first grade. Good ol' black top gym class is unforgiving when you fall. :hihi: Best wishes on the healing.

@radioman: Yeah, I can see why. Those things are massive and I'm pretty sure the machine itself has more than enough weight to break a foot on its own. :(

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.