The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's up everybody. Not only is this my first time and post on this site, I just began the process of setting up my first tank. Any advice/critiques/pointers would be greatly appreciated. So far I've been told the equipment I have is pretty good and I'd like to get a genuine take directly from hobbyists. Here's what I have so far and thanks for any input you may have
75 Gal. tank
metal stand
solarmax h.o. 248 output
marineland visi-therm submersible heater
aqueon quietflow 55/75
seachem prime
aqueon 75 versa top
Estes spectrastone (2 25lb bags)
thanks!

·
Planted Tank Nation
889 Posts
It's your first tank, so there are lots of things to cover, but in short: Are you using co2? Because you may want to do more research into how much lighting you have with that fixture. You want low-medium lighting if you do not do co2 injection. Do you want a heavily planted jungle type tank? Because that will allow you some more light. And also, that filter is not very quality in my experience, I'm thinking that you may want to swith to a canister eventually. Those are my initial observations

·
Registered
280 Posts
I agree with Mitch. First I'd replace the Quiet flow HOB and research a good canister filter. It's going to give you better filtration, allow you to manage a larger fish load, and add much needed water flow to a tank that large. That's important in circulating ferts and keeping healthy gas exchange for plants and fish. Step two, as Mitch said, is to research and understand the roles of light and CO2 and see how they fit in to the type of tank you want. Good luck, building a new tank is always lots of fun!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Before you start setting up this tank I highly suggest you do a ton of research on substrates. Gravel alone is the least desirable choice. Yes you can grow plants, but it has limitations.

With the stuff you bought already, Look into doing a Diana Walstad syle "dirt" tank. The only other item you would need is Miracle Grow Organic Choice Potting soil. Then lay your gravel over it.

Use only 1 of the HO bulbs in that solormax. Two light will put you in another ballpark of challenges which you should also be ready to study, and also buy additional equipment.

Last, you can keep that filter using her method, but you need to load the tank up with tons of plants! I sure you were planning on this anyway.

Have you any questions?

·
Planted Tank Nation
889 Posts
Before you start setting up this tank I highly suggest you do a ton of research on substrates. Gravel alone is the least desirable choice. Yes you can grow plants, but it has limitations.

With the stuff you bought already, Look into doing a Diana Walstad syle "dirt" tank. The only other item you would need is Miracle Grow Organic Choice Potting soil. Then lay your gravel over it.

Use only 1 of the HO bulbs in that solormax. Two light will put you in another ballpark of challenges which you should also be ready to study, and also buy additional equipment.

Last, you can keep that filter using her method, but you need to load the tank up with tons of plants! I sure you were planning on this anyway.

Have you any questions?
+1 on the dirt for sure. But use miracle gro organic potting mix

·
Pixel Prestidigitator
4,343 Posts
Welcome aboard Alvin.

Alvin is a friend of mine. Be gentle. (Yeah right)

Guys, he's going to put the plants into clay or net pots with top soil.

There is no CO2 for the tank.

·
Pixel Prestidigitator
4,343 Posts
Try 2 bags. Only 1 size at HD.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.