The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all....

So first, I have many tanks. Quickly got addicted.

However, I wanted to ask advice on my low tech first tank I set up. It's been running since March I think.

When I started I didn't know what I was doing so I made a lot of mistakes.

1. To much substrate in the front of tank. I know I can't fix this because of my dwarf hairgrass correct?

2. I didn't follow any depth rules, so my tank looks small and boxed. I tried opening a section in the back, but I'm not sure if it made a difference.

3. I finally got rid of staghorn algea, but I now have a green fuzzy algea in my dwarf hairgrass and I'm afraid it will choke it out eventually. There isn't much, but....I'm sure it will get out of hand if I'm not plucking it out twice a week.

Does anyone have any suggestions to make this tank more visually appealing?

Before I opened up space

After

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Love it! I wish I could grow a carpet this fine and dense with low tech! To me it looks appealing! The hair grass is rooting quite deep. Easy way to add depth would be to attach a (black) background from the outside.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you everyone. Cawafuoshi I will try the black background!

How’d you get the dwarf hair grass to carpet so nicely? I think the tank looks great; nice and lush. Maybe keep it as is and use it as a shrimp tank?

You may be able to peel back the grass up front and siphon out excess substrate to try and get more of a grade to it.
Thank you!

Indo have this as a shrimp tank actually. I like your idea of pulling back the grass up front. Maybe on my next day off I will try that!

For my hairgrass I'm not really sure. I use a good light, and ferts, just no Co2. I also trim it like crazy. It took one month to root and then one month to fill in. I did plant it the tedious way. Seperating into 3-5 strands and planting spaced out. Not sure if that helps?

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Thank you everyone. Cawafuoshi I will try the black background!

Thank you!

Indo have this as a shrimp tank actually. I like your idea of pulling back the grass up front. Maybe on my next day off I will try that!

For my hairgrass I'm not really sure. I use a good light, and ferts, just no Co2. I also trim it like crazy. It took one month to root and then one month to fill in. I did plant it the tedious way. Seperating into 3-5 strands and planting spaced out. Not sure if that helps?
Maybe I'll try again with a few stray runners from my high tech. Do you know what type of hair grass you have? (Sorry if it's in here already, I have reception that's not cooperating)

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'm a complete newbie trying to learn about planted tanks before I start one, so take everything I say here with a grain of salt. I think this tank looks really good! I actually like that sort of hill look in the front where the substrate isn't even. Could you maybe keep the grass shorter where your open space comes out? That would make it look like there is a path coming out of the denser growth and give it a more 3D feel without having to actually change the substrate.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm a complete newbie trying to learn about planted tanks before I start one, so take everything I say here with a grain of salt. I think this tank looks really good! I actually like that sort of hill look in the front where the substrate isn't even. Could you maybe keep the grass shorter where your open space comes out? That would make it look like there is a path coming out of the denser growth and give it a more 3D feel without having to actually change the substrate.
I like that idea and I'll give it a shot, thank you!!

·
Registered
71 Posts
I like that idea and I'll give it a shot, thank you!!
I'm excited to see if it is a good idea in reality, not just in my imagination! Haha. My dad is a professional artist, so I have spent my whole life looking at lots of different paintings. When I saw your tank it reminded me of an impressionist landscape painting, only the path was missing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.