The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New here!

This is my first tank. Excited to start this hobby and ready to learn a lot about it.

Found a 55 gallon tank locally with furniture piece for an absolute steal! All for $25!

I'm currently in the process of refinishing the furniture piece and putting together my list of things I need for the tank. Gonna go with a fully planted tank. Been researching the Co2 systems lately to get an idea of what I'm looking for. Still trying to figure out the best wattage for lighting. Was planning to go with these so far:

- API Filstar XP-M Cannister Filter
- Marineland Maxi Jet Powerhead 900
- 100 watt Aqueon Pro Heater
- Caribsea Eco Complete Substrate

Again, still looking into Co2 systems and lighting ideas. Thanks for any input!! Glad to be here!

·
Registered
918 Posts
Good buy for $25.00! It looks like a good, sturdy stand, too. The lighting you choose will depend on what type of plants you want to grow. Do some reading on this forum and you will get an idea of the type of tank you want to keep.
How are you going to refinish the stand?

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Buy some cheap rubbing compound from an auto spares place, and you can really give that old glass a good cleaning and get rid of scale deposits.
Its a bit of work, took me a bout 4 days to do a 60gal tank in 40C heat. But that's only a few minutes here and there.

its mostly ash and silica, and cleans off really easy with water (otherwise car painters wouldn't use it).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good buy for $25.00! It looks like a good, sturdy stand, too. The lighting you choose will depend on what type of plants you want to grow. Do some reading on this forum and you will get an idea of the type of tank you want to keep.
How are you going to refinish the stand?
Sanded it down, changed hinges, repaint, and gonna add some decorative wood trim to it. Here's where she's at now. Sanded and two coats of paint. Needs a couple more coats still.

Buy some cheap rubbing compound from an auto spares place, and you can really give that old glass a good cleaning and get rid of scale deposits.
Its a bit of work, took me a bout 4 days to do a 60gal tank in 40C heat. But that's only a few minutes here and there.

its mostly ash and silica, and cleans off really easy with water (otherwise car painters wouldn't use it).
I was gonna use a mixture of vinegar and baking soda to create a paste.

Is rubbing compound safe to use in the tank? Doesn't seem like it would be

·
Registered
452 Posts
I would stick with vinegar for sure. That and a non-scratch scotch pad will get rid of any hard water deposits on the glass. You could probably use the rubbing compound on the outside, but I wouldn't on the inside. I would also re-seal the seams with 100% silicon (GE type I, I think) while the tank is empty after you've cleaned it unless you can visually verify that the silicon that's on there is still good. i would do it anyway, just because it's cheap insurance that you won't leak at the seams.

Congrats on the cheap pick-up!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would stick with vinegar for sure. That and a non-scratch scotch pad will get rid of any hard water deposits on the glass. You could probably use the rubbing compound on the outside, but I wouldn't on the inside. I would also re-seal the seams with 100% silicon (GE type I, I think) while the tank is empty after you've cleaned it unless you can visually verify that the silicon that's on there is still good. i would do it anyway, just because it's cheap insurance that you won't leak at the seams.

Congrats on the cheap pick-up!
Awesome! Great idea about the Silicon.

I'm excited to get started! Been wanting to get into this for a while and couldn't pass up on this steal

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
I have used it on a bunch of tanks you would never get clean with vinegar.
As I said, its mostly ash and silicates, just give it a good rinse under the hose outside.

It is also great for cleaning your windscreen :)

The top tank was dirtier than the bottom one... that is really hard water from a well. Still have to redo the silicone.

check where the glass meets glass, that there is no grey air bubbles. I recently resealed a 100L tank. when I filled it the front pane lifted forward almost a 3rd of an inch, but the new seal kept the water in.
Had to take it all apart again. put it together with thin glass braces that goes over the glued edges preventing the pane from going out again. So glad I tested it outdoors first.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Little update:

Gonna go with a low light system without the Co2. Considering this is my first go around, I want to become familiar with the whole process before fully jumping into this.

- Finnex Planted+ 24/7 LED
- API Filstar XP-M Cannister Filter
- Maxi-Jet Powerhead 900
- Aqueon 100w Pro Heater

Fertilizer will be as follows:

- Seachem Equilibrium
- Potassium Nitrate
- Potassium Mono Phosphate

Dosage will be once a week.

Thoughts? I really want to avoid the high light tank and Co2 for now

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Good job!

Leak test it yet?

Low tech is simple. You might want to pull the tank away from the wall a bit to have more access setting up the canister filter/hoses. Just fill the tank up and get the fishless cycle going for the mean time while you decide what you want to do.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.