The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems that I am no longer challenged by my CRS/CBS since they are breeding out of control. With that said, I purchased two Taiwan Bees from Nick on here....Ruby Red Extreme (dragon markings). Not sure what the dragon markings mean but I presume it's the black patches in them.

I dropped these in my CRS/CBS tank to see what happens.

Here are some crappy iphone pics 10 minutes after they were put in the tank.

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very cool.

Plans for more types? :D
My goal is that both of these are females and that they get pregnant by some of my CRS/CBS males. This would in turn create mischlings which would look like regular crs/cbs. Once these mischlings start interbreeding with other mischlings, I'll start getting random taiwan bees here and there (at least I hope). Then again, if these really flourish in my tank I'll just scrap CRS/CBS all together and just keep taiwan bees.

Here is a chart that describes this:

·
Registered
166 Posts
My goal is that both of these are females and that they get pregnant by some of my CRS/CBS males. This would in turn create mischlings which would look like regular crs/cbs. Once these mischlings start interbreeding with other mischlings, I'll start getting random taiwan bees here and there (at least I hope). Then again, if these really flourish in my tank I'll just scrap CRS/CBS all together and just keep taiwan bees.
Wouldn't you rather have them be a male/female pair or a male/male pair?

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You need a better camera bro haha. Try to take your shots perpendicular with the glass. When you shoot at an angle, the tank glass tends to distort the images making them blurry.

Good luck with them!
Took out my Sony video camera which also shoots photos. It's a little bit better than my iphone pics but not by much.

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
what is the soil in the first few shots?
ADA Africana which is now buffering to a PH of around 5.3. I actually didn't think it would get this low but I like it right where it is. :bounce:

On a side note, I've noticed that the taiwan shrimp behave a little differently from my CRS. They seem to be more active and they LOVE hanging out on the sponge pre-filters along with the driftwood. Seems they have an extreme appetite for biofilm. With that said, you really need to have a mature tank to even think about taiwan bees. But I'll keep observing more to see whether this continues once they get a taste of the 10 different shrimp foods I constantly rotate in my regiment.

·
Super Moderator
17,002 Posts
That brings up something I think about on occasion but may just be silliness. Shrimp intelligence.

Have you noticed anything that seems more intelligent or less intelligent with the different shrimp you've kept?

I find my TBs to be a bit more sneaky than Neos and regular Crystals. Tigers are sneaker than TBs and are way harder to catch/a bit more aggressive.

On a side note, I've noticed that the taiwan shrimp behave a little differently from my CRS.

·
Premium Member
6,607 Posts
I think perhaps intelligence may wrongly be associated with instinct since shrimps have no brains and just a developed central nervous system. heh

HOWEVER, having said that- my Malawa are definitely harder to catch than my cherries. They have a much more aggressive instinct toward food, and a more highly developed "flight" response when trying to catch them. They also have a more powerful tail flip which makes them 2 or 3 times harder for me to catch.

Perhaps Malawa (and possibly Tigers) have held on to their wild instincts a bit better than some of the more developed "domesticated" shrimp.

Then again, they could have different instincts altogether?

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
ADA Africana which is now buffering to a PH of around 5.3. I actually didn't think it would get this low but I like it right where it is. :bounce:

On a side note, I've noticed that the taiwan shrimp behave a little differently from my CRS. They seem to be more active and they LOVE hanging out on the sponge pre-filters along with the driftwood. Seems they have an extreme appetite for biofilm. With that said, you really need to have a mature tank to even think about taiwan bees. But I'll keep observing more to see whether this continues once they get a taste of the 10 different shrimp foods I constantly rotate in my regiment.

Its looks really good and clean too. Is that powder or regular btw?

I don't know why but my amazonia (new) was really dusty and dirty when I opened it.

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Its looks really good and clean too. Is that powder or regular btw?

I don't know why but my amazonia (new) was really dusty and dirty when I opened it.
It's just the regular kind. My amazonia II had tons of powder too but it eventually went away. The Africana does not do that as much, as a matter of fact, I barely noticed any powder on the glass at all.

That brings up something I think about on occasion but may just be silliness. Shrimp intelligence.

Have you noticed anything that seems more intelligent or less intelligent with the different shrimp you've kept?
For now I haven't really observed them much since I'm back home with the parents in NJ. I hope my shrimp are doing well though. :biggrin:

The only thing I noticed is that they like biofilm and constantly graze on my sponges. I'll take a good look at the behavior when I come back this Wednesday.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.