The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there, i am coming to the end of my 13g iwagami grow out so am looking to populate it.
I have an HC carpet, dwarf hairgrass and rotala wallichii, co2 was running high to grow HC in but will be substantially dropped to populate.
I Have never had shrimp before so an a little unsure of my parameters...
PH 7.5
KH 11
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate trace
temp 79
Substrate- Mandano (which i hate)

Fauna- 15 Sakura shrimp, 3 Amano shrimp and 15 cardinals.
I have access to RO water if it would be better for the shrimp.

I understand that i need to re-mineralise RO water... how do i do this?
What food should i be using for shrimp?
Any other issue i should be aware of?

thanks again everybody for your advise!!

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Lower the temp first of all, should be no hotter than 78 preferably

RO water is the easiest to use to get/keep the right parameters.
Can remineralize it with GH Booster/Old sea mud/mosura mineral plus/ect. Directions on the bag/bottle get you to te correct tds..

There's lots of food to choose from, any mosura products/shrimpball cuisine/Borneo wild ect. I use cuisine and Kens shrimp growth mix flakes and they're happy. Also chi Ebi for baby shrimp is a must if you want to keep as many baby shrimp as possible.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Best of luck with the cardinal shrimp, I've got high KH/high pH water as well and have been considering these for a while. Most of the Sulawesi shrimp have a reputation as being finicky (though I don't know personally whether they deserve it or not) but they apparently love this type of water. Your cherry shrimp (the sakuras) will do well and breed in virtually any stable water conditions you can give them, and the amanos won't breed successfully without a huge amount of work, so I would work more toward getting things right for the cardinals. I'd skip the RO personally, it seems like what's coming out of your tap has just about perfect conditions for the cardinals and the cherries are highly adaptable.

Your temperature is fine as well. Cardinals are truly tropical and need the higher temperature (I've read for aiming at 78 as the minimum, but again, I'd be surprised if that doesn't change as more people keep these shrimp.) I don't know whether the amanos will tolerate it or not, but the sakuras should be fine as long as there is good aeration.

Keeping the amanos and cardinals happy together is really the only problem I can see you having with this tank. Plenty of aeration/surface agitation should do the job. Keep us up to date!

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
excellent, thanks guys... once i populate i will post a journal, its just so slow going a journal would be pretty dull at the moment.
I have a powerhead to create good surface agitation and co2 will be low. With any luck it should all be ok....? lol

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.