The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to Petsmart for some supplies for a large project and saw this poor guy floating sideways. Apparent bloating, pretty bad. The entire time I was watching he couldn't swim well. Decided to grab a few supplies and had a spare 2.5 gallon to be my quarantine tank. Treated the tank with a half a table spoon of aquarium salt, safe coat, and new start. Going to transition him in the next few minutes. What would you all recommend I do for continuous treatment. Obviously holding off on food until marked improvement. Thanks.

Only way I could get a good picture is when I moved the cup and he kinda sprang. Then went back into the sideways float. :(

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kind of quick to pull the trigger on that one?

He's been going to the bathroom A TON. I should at least try to see if I can make him improve. If it's something besides just REALLY bloated, course I'll put him down.

·
Registered
548 Posts
beautiful tank
if it pulls through im sure it will be happy there, not sure what the first poster is talking about but its worth a shot to try and save its life imo. most cases saving a fish only costs a few dollars and some spare time, if it doesn't seem to have some incurable illness I say go for it
and for treatment personally I just use IAL on all the fish who enjoy it when I dont know and cant figure out what the real problem is. just to calm them down. on hard alkaline fish I assume you would want to use aquarium salt instead? idk

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
beautiful tank
if it pulls through im sure it will be happy there, not sure what the first poster is talking about but its worth a shot to try and save its life imo. most cases saving a fish only costs a few dollars and some spare time, if it doesn't seem to have some incurable illness I say go for it
and for treatment personally I just use IAL on all the fish who enjoy it when I dont know and cant figure out what the real problem is. just to calm them down. on hard alkaline fish I assume you would want to use aquarium salt instead? idk
He cost one cent and was considered an adoption cause the employees recognized he was in trouble. I have a ton of supplies, just need a couple small decoration pieces. I agree... hope a little tlc and time I can get it turned around. Will post progress. I hope he makes it through the night!

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
As long as his gills aren't burnt up he should be fine. I might add some kapata (capata) leaves and an air stone temporarily. That's what the transhippers do when then get one that shipped over very roughly. Hopefully he will pull though.

·
Registered
171 Posts
He looks quite good for a rescue. I say give him time, appropriate food and good clean water. Also, might want to limit the lights-on time, videotaping, etc. Let him rest and recover.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_4VNOQeP94

Little video update. His energy isn't there. Swim's briefly then has to rest.
I think he looks great. His bloat was most probably constipation. They aren't treated (no fish is) very well once they enter the distribution system of wholesalers / retailers. A reasonable guess on my part is that somebody in the box store you got him, fed them at some point and he may have gotten more than what his system could handle at one time. If that was what happened, he would've been a gonner by now. And the color of his poop is also a good sign. Great job! Just go easy on the feeding for a bit.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think he looks great. His bloat was most probably constipation. They aren't treated (no fish is) very well once they enter the distribution system of wholesalers / retailers. A reasonable guess on my part is that somebody in the box store you got him, fed them at some point and he may have gotten more than what his system could handle at one time. If that was what happened, he would've been a gonner by now. And the color of his poop is also a good sign. Great job! Just go easy on the feeding for a bit.

Roger, gave him one pellet earlier after I saw marked improvement with movement. Plan on upping that to two pellets tmw and see where he stands. Thanks all! It's very fulfilling to see a very bad off animal and helping them out. Although, it wasn't probably a terrible sickness you still never know! I'm sure petsmart would've just let him be.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.