The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all im new to this site. well im a new poster to this site ive been around a lil bit. Im not new to nanos though I have a 2 gal jar that i keep guppys and shrimp in with plant clipings but i think i would like to try my first aquascape. Now to me an aquascape is a tank that focuses on the tank not so much the inhabitants they are more secondary, and are picked to compliment the plants in the tank.

Anyway my main question is about lighting.(you prolly get those alot)
I want to build a tank that is approx. 12x12x12 which would equal to be a little more then 6 gal. I was checking drsfostersmith.com and i found a 12" coralife light that was 2x18 watt bulbs( .Compact Fluorescent Aquarium Lighting: Coralife Aqualight Double Compact Fluorescent Strip Lights ) Will 6 WPG be enough to keep high light demanding plants.

THANKS
PW

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great now to the fun part, components, and construction.
and of course plant selection and substrate and all that fun stuff

I think i wanna do something iwagumi esc... but maybe not.. hmmm o the possiblities. I know i want a carpet foreground like HC or ricca then maybe some hairgrass for the back dun no. Any suggestions

THANKS

PW

·
Registered
276 Posts
Uh if your going to have that much you need press. co2, I would cut that to 3.5-4 wpg, maybe even less especially if you don't supplement co2. You don't want your first aquascape to be an algaescape.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Now you think that i will have to have CO2. What if i were tto just dose excel.
I dont no ive only keep low light plants before. But if i do need co2 is there a cheap system youcan reccomend

THANKS

PW

·
Registered
644 Posts
Have your fertilizers ready too. :) Your plants will need ferts.

Most people around here use Greg Watson's ferts to dose the EI method (EI in 21 Days).

Rex's site has more info on ferts too. www.rexgrigg.com

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
I have 4 watts per gallon over my 12g and I've had really good results using the Nutrafin Co2 system (costs about $20 online) and supplement with Flourish Excel. Combining both methods has made it pretty cheap and easy for me to maintain an algae free scape with great plant growth.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
First off i want to say "HOLY MOLY your 12gal is gorgeious, so lush"
The nutrafin system appears to be doing its job so i think ill give it a try. Do the packets last a long time? How often do you replace them and are the replacements expensive?

Now that we have the co2 and lights lets look at what plants would be best
I like HC and riccia which one would be easier to grow also whats a good backround plant i think i want hairgrass in the midground. but i dont know any suggestions

THANKS

PW

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Thanks for the compliment! I've been very pleased with the results of the Nutrafin system. I switch out the contents of the canister on the 1st of every month, just to be sure. There are some DIY mixtures that can be found on here that are quite a bit cheaper but, I'm pretty lazy and just pay the $8 for about 3 months worth of Nutrafin packets. :smile:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hmmmmmm..... O RLY?
Those are the bulbs that come with that kit so do recommend that i get a different light hood? If so which one?

THANKS

PW

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I was looking in the lighting section and found a poster with a similar problem there was plenty of links there for different bulbs i could get but they were either 10000k or 6500k are these ok to use

THANKS

PW

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.