The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys/gals, I just joined TPT forums a week ago and I'm really growing to love the community here so here's my first post :eek:. I'm really intrigued by your planted tank journals I have been looking over! Ive owned a fish tank for 9 years now and never really dabbled with the live plants till recently. My main question for now is this.... I currently have a 29 gallon that I want to experiment with before I can come across a deal on a 72 bowfont. Today I bought the 4x 55w from AHSupply thinking I can use 1 (or 2) of the 55w (110w) for now and then just add the other 2 for 220watts for a 72 bowfront... But do you think this is overkill for my size tanks? Also what are your ideas on the CF lights vs T5? A lot of reviews I read on AHSupply are A+ but they are mostly older reviews. They haven't charged my card yet so I can probably still call tomorrow morning and change my order if needed.

Thanks for any suggestions you can give me :icon_bigg I look forward to doing my own journal if this works out good :cool:

Edit: I would like to update after reading some more and more specifically on Hoppy pointing out WPG vs PAR, it looks like 4x 55watts would be a lot for a 72 bowfront... Im not opposed to hanging the lights, and having CO2 though.. Thoughts?

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Welcome to TPT!

I think one of the 55watt CFs would work over the 29gal for now.

And 4x55 would work over the 72gal later on, given you hang the fixture and have pressurized CO2.

So I think you can make it work. :proud:

T5HOs are more energy efficient in terms of usable light per watt, and also project less heat into the tank than CF fixtures, so these are 2 advantages and reasons they've gained such popularity. But CF fixtures are still good fixtures, especially those from AH Supply.

·
Registered
646 Posts
i agree- i think 55w on the 29 will be perfect. as for the 72- i think 220 w seems like overkill and the light will surely need to be hung. i think 110w for the 72g would be plenty. but if you want the 220, you'll need co2 most likely

·
Registered
82 Posts
CO2 is a must with the 220 watts of light..

You'll have MUCH better results with CO2 on the 29 gallon and 55 watts as well...

Once you get up and running PM me and i'll get you some free plants...

Im in Owings Mills...

Go Ravens.. .

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds good :) Turns out that bow front tanks arent so common on CraigsList for the Baltimore area. So I might have to open my possibilities to other tanks, maybe 75 or 110 gallons. Lights should be here by Saturday though, can't wait :proud:

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I have my lights installed into the retrofitted stock hood. Looks amazing!
Do the bright lights have an adverse effect on the fish though? All these years they have received 20w and now when I turn on this AHSupply 55w light its like the fish go crazy, especially the silver dollar.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
I think the effect on them is pretty much the same as when we walk from a dark room out into the bright sunlight- we get temporarily blinded. I always just make sure I have places for my fish to hide out of the light if they want to (under plants, driftwood, etc).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.