The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here is my first planted tank - 100 gallon. Welcome any comments / advices.

Here are my tank details :
Dimension : 72 x 18 x 24 inch
Nett Volume : 403 litres / 106 gallon
Filtration : 1 x Eheim 2026 / 1 x Eheim 2260
Pressurized CO2 : current 24ppm
Temperature : set 26'C
Lighting : 3 x 150W M.H (8 hrs daily)
Substrate : Vulcanit Fert + Lapis Sand

Flora
Phillipine Java Fern
Cryptocoryne Spirallis
Rotala Indica
Rotala Roundifolia
Rotala sp. Nanjenshan
Echinodorus "Red Diamond"
Blyxa Japonica
Limnophila Aromatica
Pogostemon Stellatus
Tonina sp. Belem
Nymphoides Aquatica
Nymphaea Lotus Zenkeri
Barclaya Longifolia
Aponogeton Ulvaceus
Eriocaulon sp.
US Fissiden Fontanus
Suessassertang
Spiky Moss
Glossostigma

Fauna
50 Cardinal Tetras
5 Otocinclus (adding another 15 soon)
10 Tiger Shrimp (adding another 100 malayan shrimps)
6 SAE

Hope my aquascaping is not too bad and also my selection of aquatic plants.
Cheers,
K.C

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh yes, 135 gallon. I was thinking about the nett volume of water I have inside that tank. Btw, love your 100g tank scape. How long does it take for the whole bunch of plants to mature and not forgeting some minor rescaping. Can you also share some your liquid fert regime? My tank is about 1 week old,so have only dose potassium sulphate & calcium nitrate. Water change weekly at 40%.

K.C

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is going to look very lovely.

Are you going for a "Dutch" styled look, with clumps of carefully pruned plants?

That's what the plant arrangement reminds me of right now, at any rate.
Laura,
To be very frank, I know nothing about 'Dutch' style of aquascaping.:icon_frow My idea was to have 1 side with more driftwoods (moss / ferns) and the other side with low or mid high plants. I'm sure that I'll spend more time pruning all the lovely plants on the right side. Can't wait to see the Glosso spread and form a nice carpet.:icon_wink

K.C

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the link that describes Dutch style aquascapes.

Wow,the first tank look awesome..... Think I got a long way to go before I could have such a beautiful tank.:hihi: But I'll try to read up more and put it into practise along the way. Any particular book on planted tank that I shouldn't miss?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
May I know how long does each M.H bulb last? They are on for 8 hours daily. Those I have are Osram Powerstar.

·
Many plants...little time
1,634 Posts
Oh yes, 135 gallon. I was thinking about the nett volume of water I have inside that tank. Btw, love your 100g tank scape. How long does it take for the whole bunch of plants to mature and not forgeting some minor rescaping. Can you also share some your liquid fert regime? My tank is about 1 week old,so have only dose potassium sulphate & calcium nitrate. Water change weekly at 40%.

K.C

K.C.
My rate of growth depends on the plant. I actually have pulled out all stem plants and gone in an entirely different direction. Some stems grew very fast, like Rotala rotundifolia, others like Rotala wallichii, Ludwigia brevipes and P. stellatus and erectum grew much slower.
I also do not really dose that tank. I used a mineralized soil substrate to avoid having to dose...though some people with that same substrate do dose. After a water change I dose a few pinches of potassium. Thats it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Looks like I'm gonna have to spend more time pruning those stem plants...:icon_conf. Think I'll also just stick to adding potassium & nitrate for the time being, till I notice slower growth on those stem plants.:icon_mrgr

K.C

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Any particular book on planted tank that I shouldn't miss?
Diana Walstad's "Ecology of the Planted Aquarium" and Peter Hiscock's "Encyclopedia of Aquarium Plants" are 2 of my favs.

I noticed how pink your Blyxa is and went back to look at your lighting- that's a TON of light! Personally, I'd raise those fixtures pretty high over the tank to keep growth at a bit slower rate and help avoid algae. Looks like you're managing OK so far, but that level lighting is going to be a lot of work to keep up with over the long haul!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Laural,
Thanks for the books recommendation. Will check out bookstore for those.

Do you think I should cut back the duration of my lightings? Now is 4 hrs each session. I also notice some hair algae forming. How about 6 hrs daily? I would love to have my light set suspend over my tank at a higher level above my water level,but this not gonna happen soon as I just moved into my new apartment. There is this false ceiling above my tank and I wonder how much weight could it take? Might have to get advice from some carpenter.

K.C

1 - 16 of 16 Posts