The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
so basically this is the first time ive decided to plunge into the world of nature aquariums. i purchased a finnex 4 gallon deluxe and it will be here in a few days :) just have a few questions about how to get started.....

during the cycle should i have plants in the system?

is co2 injection a necessity? if so how many bps for a 4 gallon finnex?

what's substrate do you recommend? i am torn between ada amazonia and eco complete which do you prefer?

thanks for you time this is really gonna help me out

·
Registered
355 Posts
I believe having plants in the tank during the cycle phase will help speed things up a bit.

Co2 is not necessary but it does help plant growth (some fish and shrimp are a little sensitive to Co2 though so it all depends what you plan to have in your tank).

I can't really recommend one or the other because I've only used ADA aquasoil before. I have heard both ADA and Eco are pretty good substrates though. I believe ADA has more nutrients but it takes longer to cycle than Eco Complete.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Ditch the fluval co2, and go with DIY yeast, paintball, or excel.

I'm assuming this will be a shrimp tank?
What other plants are you planning to put in there?

BtW, nice choice for a first tank.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just ordered the fluval 88g kit didn't really wanny go the DIY route!! My lily pipes from aquatic magic should be in tomorrow so I'll upload some new photos

·
Registered
1,357 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Funny thing is my wife loves the tank and said I should get more!!! Picking up 2 fluval specs tmrw and I'm gonna order what you suggested for their co2 systems lol

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So I've been waiting 10 days to get my lily pipes I ordered from aquatic magic to find out today that they have been lost!!!! Ordering a new set from gla today I'm so pissed

·
Registered
16 Posts
Funny thing is my wife loves the tank and said I should get more!!! Picking up 2 fluval specs tmrw and I'm gonna order what you suggested for their co2 systems lol
Your wife needs to hang out with my wife a bit... Mine has just started rolling her eyes and walking outta the room when I say I want to get something new lol. Some people just don't understand... :icon_wink

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.