The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I decided that I would finally try a planted aquarium.

I used my 20gal H tank for this project. I relocated the two goldfishes to another tank of mines. I took out the gravel and other thing in the tank. Emptied the tank of the water and cleaned it a little.

I found a nice deal on craigslist for 5 bags of Seachem Flourite.

I used 3 bags to create about 3 inches of substrate. I think two bags would have been enough but what the hell, I had 5 bags anyway.

After rinsing each bag about 5-6 times, I started adding the substrate into the tank.

I started slowly adding water after I had all the Flourite in. I tried to minimize the cloudly water by using a powerhead to slowly filter the water in. I also used a glass bowl so the running water would not kick up any of the substrate.

As you can see the water still got pretty cloudy.

After filling the tank 3/4 of the way with water I added some plants I had. The swords (not good with plant names) are not in the best of conditions. I had them in a poorly lit tank before. I'm going to get alot of new plants when I have everything setup. I'm ordering a 24" Coralife Aqualight 65w PC.

I'm waiting for the water to clear up.

I'm a total beginner, just learning as I go. I'll post updates periodically.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would love to get some Hemianthus Callitrichoides (HC). Carpet my substrate floor. I don't really have a plan yet for the fishes. I'm just in the first stage of building. Still gathering all the equipment little by little.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm debating between ordering a 24" Coralife Aqualight 65w PC or a Current Nova Extreme 24" with 2x24W T5HO.

Anyone have experience with either light? What would you guys recommend?

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
I'm debating between ordering a 24" Coralife Aqualight 65w PC or a Current Nova Extreme 24" with 2x24W T5HO.

Anyone have experience with either light? What would you guys recommend?
I have been researching those lights for my 29 gallon tank that is 30in. At present with 24in PC light tank doesn't need Co2 injected. Found if I got the T5HO light system I would have to inject Co2. The T5HO bulbs last longer than any other bulbs. The T5 comes in 30in and bulbs are about $10. PC replacement is $35.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I went with the 24 in. Current Nova Extreme T5 HO light fixture. I ordered it today. When it comes, I will post some updates.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
T5 HO Light.

So my Current Nova Extreme 24 in. T5HO came today!

I like that it has separate reflectors for each light.

The 10,000K and Freshwater bulbs.

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
This is a good start. That light looks pretty nice. I didn't realize that that one had individual reflectors. The cheaper Current striplight does not.

You might start getting trouble with algae with that much light. Will the fixture work with just one bulb?

You probably could have filled that tank to the top with that much Fluorite. THat will be good to have on-hand for your next, bigger project.

That plant in the middle might be Cryptocoryne ciliata. Did you catch the name? C. ciliata is a cool plant, although it might start getting big in that tank.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
The reddish colored bulb looks dimmer because human eyes are not very sensitive to red light. If a red and a blue light are providing the same PAR light intensity the red one will appear to be much dimmer.

You have a lot of light on that tank, and very few plants. Not a good situation. You should perhaps quickly buy a bunch of cheap stem plants and at least float them in the water, but better yet, plant them in the substrate. Then you need to get started with fertilizing - read up on the Estimative Index method of fertilizing.

And, you really need to be adding CO2, pressurized CO2, in fact. That much light drives the plants to grow very rapidly, and to do that they need a good steady source of carbon, along with all of the other nutrients. They also need the tank to be kept very clean, with all dead or dying leaves removed as quickly as you see them.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts