The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I set up a new tank yesterday. I have about 2 inches of the black flora max on bottom and then a layer of aquarium sand on top. I thought I rinsed them enough but apparently not. My tank is pretty cloud still, we are coming up on 24 hours of being set up.
The instructions say to keep the filter on. Is this accurate? Wouldnt no water flow help the sand settle? I guess then when you turn it on it would stir it up again though...

I have an amazon sword in there. I'm worried about the cloudyness hurting the plant. Is that a stupid concern? Probably.

Also, how long should I give it light per day? I've tried researching on the internet but there is so much conflicting information out there. It's pretty ridiculous actually.

Oh, and I know you're not supposed to put in a whole bunch of plants at once so how soon can I add more and how many more can I add at one time?

As soon as it's cycled can I add fish or is there still a certain amount of time I should wait?

·
Are these real?
15,750 Posts
I set up a new tank yesterday. I have about 2 inches of the black flora max on bottom and then a layer of aquarium sand on top. I thought I rinsed them enough but apparently not. My tank is pretty cloud still, we are coming up on 24 hours of being set up.
The instructions say to keep the filter on. Is this accurate?

Depends on the filter. Some can mechanically remove "dust", like if they have fine sponges. Others not so much.

Wouldnt no water flow help the sand settle? I guess then when you turn it on it would stir it up again though...

Turn it off for a day or two, then use a gravel cleaner to carefully suck up the dust that has settled on the substrate and plant leaves. Do one or two 50% water changes and you should be good.

I have an amazon sword in there. I'm worried about the cloudyness hurting the plant. Is that a stupid concern? Probably.

Probably. :wink: When everything has settled, clean off the leaves a bit if there is visible detritus on them. But don't worry too much.

Also, how long should I give it light per day? I've tried researching on the internet but there is so much conflicting information out there. It's pretty ridiculous actually.

It's because there is no single answer. Start with 9 hours and go from there. But don't worry too much.

Oh, and I know you're not supposed to put in a whole bunch of plants at once so how soon can I add more and how many more can I add at one time?

Actually, that is not correct. Do put a whole bunch of plants in there. It will help to stabilize and balance things. Better put a lot in the beginning and clear some out when they have grown in and you don't have much algae after two months or so. Crazy, huh?

As soon as it's cycled can I add fish or is there still a certain amount of time I should wait?

This is where you want to go slow. Add some fish, wait, then some more, etc, to not overwhelm the tank with the sudden biomass.

·
Banned
1,866 Posts
It would help to know what ur light is. Most feel its best to add as many plants as u can right away. You may want to search here for fishless cycle. That would answer a lot of followup questions you will have about when to add fish. Opinions vary.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My filter is on the cheap side. It's a tatra whisper10 or something like that.

It's only a 10 gal so it won't be many fish anyway. Probably just 2 female platies. I know about the cycle, I just wasn't sure if the plants changed anything as far as adding in the fish after cycling was completed.

Looks like I'll be going back to the store today :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.