The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have had many aquariums in the past but never tried to do live plants.
After selling my 55 gallon to a buddy at work, as I didn't have to room for it in my house, I loved how he did his.

I sold some stuff and made room. But I am a retired vet and don't make a whole lot of money. So I sold a pistol of mine and some other random stuff and bought a used 70 gallon bow with stand.

Even though the bow held water, the seals were in horrible shape. I resealed it using a method with glass. I got the who tank for $200. Now I will let pictures with captions explain the rest as I am a visual person!

Original Tank purchased for $200
Bump:

Bump: Priming the stand.

Stand Primed

Painting the stand to match entertainment stand.

Stand all done.

Bump: Stripping old seals out.

Cutting glass pieces.

Cleaning cut glass pieces.

Caulked sides of tank.

Glass pieces in with caulk. Adds tons of strength.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Oh wow beautiful tank! I am a huge fan of the bowed fronts, they provide a visual for the tank that i feel is unmatched by any other. Great start so far, completely interested in seeing the progress with your planting. Keep us updated!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh wow beautiful tank! I am a huge fan of the bowed fronts, they provide a visual for the tank that i feel is unmatched by any other. Great start so far, completely interested in seeing the progress with your planting. Keep us updated!

Thank you Goomie
It has actually been up for about 2 months.
But I am trying to start a journal and catch up.
More to come for sure.
I hope I get a lot of constructive Criticism from it as well.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Wow this is already off to a great start! The most important thing is making sure you have a vision before you start. High or low tech? region specific or eclectic? What kind of fish do you want? How much work do you want to put in to maintain it? These are all questions that you should consider so that when you do start buying live plants and animals you have solid foundation of where you want to go. Hope this helps. And then I just read your most recent comment..... damn well cant wait either way.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Now for the equipment being used in my tank.

Went with a Hydor 600 filter system

UpAqua inline diffuser / reactor (Silicone line was temp / it has good CO2 lines now)

Hydor inline 350 Watt Heater

Green Leaf Aquarium CO2 Regulator (Paintball Style)

Odyssea 4 T5 bulb fully programmable light.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Initial set up with my first few plants given to me by a friend.

About a month or less after initial set up.

A few days ago.

Reactions: Maryland Guppy

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you all.
I actually pulled and redid the left side for regrowth.
Will post pictures soon.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.