The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone,
I have to brag :flick:... about 2 weeks ago I got a pair of Kribs(Pelvicachromis pulcher) and they have finally spawned. I put a flower pot in there, thinking that would be a good place for them, instead the female chose a lil crack in the drifwood. It's pretty interesting to watch them care for the fry. I'm very excited.:icon_smil

Here is a short video (sorry for the quality and the reflection of me)

Kribensis fry

Kribensis fry feeding time

Kribensis fry about 2 months old

Kribensis about 3 months old

Feeding

·
Registered
521 Posts
CONGRATS! Kribs are beautiful! Good Luck with the fry.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
just keep doing what you are doing. Kribs are the best of parents.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Yeah Kribs are awesome parents! I love watching them mate, have babies and raise them. I have raised several Varities of Pelvicachromis and they all have done well! Congrats! You will enjoy them!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
just added new video to my first message. I was feeding them brine shrimp for the first time today. Everybody got their stomachs stuffed:). They are very interesting to observe as most of you guys said. :)

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Pretty cool man. I was going to pick up a pair a few weeks back but they sold quick.
GET THEM!!! :bounce: they are awesome!!!

·
Registered
75 Posts
they will make a great addition to any tank. I've been trying to get ahold of some Pelvicachromis Taeniatus Nigerian reds. they are just wonderful to watch!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
they will make a great addition to any tank. I've been trying to get ahold of some Pelvicachromis Taeniatus Nigerian reds. they are just wonderful to watch!
they look very nice too! great color from what i saw in pictures online...

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Lil update: I have now between 30-40 baby kribs (some of them died), which are about 2 months old now. I moved them to a separate tank about 2 weeks ago. They seem to be doing fine, eat a lot, growing nicely :) Just added a new video to my first message.

·
Registered
902 Posts
You can leave them with the parents. They will continue to protect/raise them until the parents reach the point that they are ready to spawn again. At that point, they cease to recognize the first spawn as anything but a threat to the newest spawn and will hunt them and kill them in a smaller tank. Mine were housed in a 29g, I'm not sure how large of a tank you would need to avoid this happening.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
What size tank do you have them in? Did you leave them with the parents?
They are wonderful parents. I have a first time parent pair that are protecting at least 20-30 fry in a heavily stocked 75 gallon and they do a fierce job. I had another pair that had babies that I have the parents to a club member and have 10 of there fry in a 10 gallon and they seem fine. It's full of java moss and they just graze together. I've been giving first bites, not sure of any plus or minus to it. I ordered golden pearl in various sizes so will try that once it gets here. Super cool fish as they pair up and spawn quickly

1 - 19 of 19 Posts