The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks, so i wanted to set up an iwagami tank for less than £100... ($150) wishful?

45x25x25 ebay special derimmed = 99p
Manado substrate £15
HOB filter £10
Light unit 2x 24w ( 1 x 10k, 1 x 7.5k) £45
Ceramic diffuser £6
Green garden stone for rockeries £3
HC x 2 pots £8
Rotalla wallichi £4.50

Total - £101.49

Just add fish :)

Sorry about the average pics, i have a canon 550d but dont know how to use it yet :lol:

This has been a bit of a learning curve as never used stone or shrimp before.
The tank has been wet for about 3 weeks now, been pretty lucky with algae, not so lucky with hydra... ongoing battle!!
I now know that the substrate i chose is a pain as it has no weight to it and lifts with the slightest of flow. HC likes to grow on it though.
The 'green stone' i chose is too green :) it blends with the HC, they did a blue stone aswell that i will try next time.
Bare with me on the Rotalla Wallichii it just got it yesterday from TGM.

All comments welcome.

Also just bought 5x 5 banded barbs for my 55g.... LOVE THEM!!!!! Going to get 3 more.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I feel like the stones in the layout are a bit too even and neither one can step up to be called the main stone. The end result is that it feels as though the weight is very even in the tank. Looks like you have had nice growth though.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Your tank on the right makes the other tank look so tiny. How big is the small tank in gallons?
its 13g or near enough.

I feel like the stones in the layout are a bit too even and neither one can step up to be called the main stone. The end result is that it feels as though the weight is very even in the tank. Looks like you have had nice growth though.
Yeah, i think there are deffinately things i will do didifferently on the next one, got a plan i my head for next time but it will have to wait while i build my vampire crab paludarium. I might swop a few rocks out though as it would be fairly easy... i think :icon_mrgr

either your camera settings are weird or those cardinals look sickly... the red isn't as bright as it should be
That will probably be my rubbish camera skills.. just ordered a tripod and free standing flash.... now i just need to learn to use it!!

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So i dropped in 15 Sakura's last week and finally have new shoots on the wallichii which i almost lost hope for, also adding blyxa japonica tomorrow...
Unfortunately i now have staghorn quite badly on the stone and in the HC so will start a heavy excel regime to combat, any opinions on how this will effect the shrimp?
Also have millions of snails in the HC, all the size of a grain of sand, daily sucking up with airline but dont seem to be winning :( Although i remember in my 55g i never thought id get rid of the snails then after daily removal for 2 -3 weeks it got better very quickly so i will be patient....
Will post new pics tomorrow.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.