The Planted Tank Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
No longer a newbie.
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
9 week update:

The spirogyra was starting to get out of hand and I was getting a lot of hair algae as well. Spiro is a really hard algae to kill, like cladophora. So my only option is to use an algaecide unfortunately. I fished all my shrimp out and dosed api algaefix at slightly under the bottle dose for 5 gals (to account for displaced water). My betta seems to be doing just fine, I'll do another dose in 3 days and hopefully it will knock the algae out.

All the plants are doing good and my hra was starting to get super pink at the top finally! I had to trim all the pink parts off during the water change so hopefully it comes back even redder. The rotala blood red is coming I'm bright magenta so I'm really happy that it truly doesn't need strict nitrate limitation to achieve a deep red like Dennis wong said. I'm half tempted to rip out all my Alternanthera and replace it with the blood red, but for now I'm going to leave it alone since I already have algae issues.

I got my chihiros vivid mini set up, and absolutely loved it. Unfortunately though mine seems to have a bunk bluetooth module because I haven't been able to reconnect it since the first time which sucks because it makes the light unusable. I'm going to contact the seller tomorrow and see about getting a replacement. This seems to be a super common issue with the chihiros which sucks because the light themselves are amazing. If I get another bunk light I'll cut my loss and keep the twinstar.

Here's a picture showing the difference between the twinstar and chihiros before the chihiros quit on me. You can see how nice the color rendition is on the chihiros
Which I had set at red 100% light blue 70% and dark blue 100%.

Plant Plant community Green Flower Light

I also rented a PAR meter from my LFS which I wanted to use to tweak my chihiros but unfortunately I was only able to get a PAR reading for the stock settings (all colors 100%) before it died on me.

My twinstar PAR values taken at the substrate:
Center 180
Front corners 80
Front center 100
Middle sides 120

At the surface 290

On the dimmer settings:
-1/ 151
-2/ 145
-3/ 112
-4/100
-5/ 72
-6/ 50
-7/ 28

The chihiros was 367 at the center substrate with the stock settings which is INSANE. Especially for the price point.

Currently I'm running 180 PAR at the substrate with my twinstar which is super high light. I may keep it on the first dimmer setting which would take me down to 151.

Not much else to report until I get the chihiros vivid straightened out.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Liking the tank!... will be following along.

I coincidentally unboxed a new Chihiros C2 RGB light and couldnt connect to it to set up. I think the Chihiros app requires permissions to location and bluetooth turned on in order to connect with the light. I had downloaded the app a couple weeks ago and think I only allowed it permission the one time when I initially installed so when I fired it up today it would not connect. Maybe give that a try.

·
Registered
No longer a newbie.
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Liking the tank!... will be following along.

I coincidentally unboxed a new Chihiros C2 RGB light and couldnt connect to it to set up. I think the Chihiros app requires permissions to location and bluetooth turned on in order to connect with the light. I had downloaded the app a couple weeks ago and think I only allowed it permission the one time when I initially installed so when I fired it up today it would not connect. Maybe give that a try.
Thanks! Yeah I have bluetooth and location on. I connected the light once no problem, then the light lost connection halfway through me messing with the settings, and hasn't been able to connect since. It can find the light but when I go to connect it says "failed connection" and then I lose the signal from the light. Very frustrating. I've tried everything I can possibly do to get it to connect again but nothing.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Thanks! Yeah I have bluetooth and location on. I connected the light once no problem, then the light lost connection halfway through me messing with the settings, and hasn't been able to connect since. It can find the light but when I go to connect it says "failed connection" and then I lose the signal from the light. Very frustrating. I've tried everything I can possibly do to get it to connect again but nothing.
Have you tried restarting your phone? Force quitting the app and restarting my phone has worked for me in the past when the Chihiros app acts up. I do wish they would invest a little in reliability though, it's a frustrating problem to have.

Honestly I kinda like the greens from the Twinstar more. It might be a white balance issue though.

·
Registered
No longer a newbie.
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Have you tried restarting your phone? Force quitting the app and restarting my phone has worked for me in the past when the Chihiros app acts up. I do wish they would invest a little in reliability though, it's a frustrating problem to have.

Honestly I kinda like the greens from the Twinstar more. It might be a white balance issue though.
I got it to work! I am so happy about it because the PAR meter has to go back tomorrow. I was able to get about 10 different PAR readings with different light settings. I honestly like the super purple color rendition, not quite natural but with the packed reds and pinks I have in this tank it's not really a nature scape anyways! I did take some PAR values with a more "green" rendition in case I change my mind later on. I was able to take readings for 180-120 PAR with the purple color and then 160-120 PAR with more green and wrote it all down so in the future I can either raise or lower my PAR as needed and pick whether I want super red/pink/purple or more green. My setting now does wash out the green a bit but at the moment I'm happy with it. I have it set to red 52%, light blue 33%, and dark blue 52% which takes my PAR to 150 at the substrate with my glass lid on which is perfect.

I feel like the twinstar has a more yellow tone to the greens, but it is a very natural color balance considering how many red and green diodes are in the light.

To get the chihiros to work I actually used my boyfriends "hunting phone", a prepaid Verizon phone he bought since his actual phone gets no service out where he hunts. My phone uses the latest android software, android 12 while his hunting phone is old and uses Android 9. It has to do with the phone software I think. After trying a few times to get connection it finally got it and didn't lose it once over the half hour I was messing with it and taking readings. I decided for ease of use to skip their timer settings on the app and run it on auto, and keep it plugged in to my old fashioned outlet timer to make sure it works as i want it. I'm so happy!

Purple Plant Flower Rectangle Organism

Plant Purple Rectangle Flower Wood

Plant Flower Purple Blue Light

·
Registered
No longer a newbie.
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Update: major maintenance session today. The spiro and staghorn was getting out of hand still and in the absence of my amanos some green hair algae came with it. I did a good bit of manual removal, hacked back the monte carlo carpet, and added a 3rd dose of algaefix which seems to be slowly killing everything off.

I decided the Alternanthera cultivars are just too big for a tank this small, so I ripped them all out except for the Variegated. I moved the rotala blood red back to where the alternanthera was, and did a major uprooting and tossing the old bottoms of a lot of the plants. Made some more leg room for the stems and moved around the bacopa salzmanni up front a bit more so I can grow more rotala yarabje. I took a bunch of cuttings out to start up my 10 gal farm tank which I will set up tomorrow. Besides the algae the plants are looking beautiful. One week with the chihiros has changed a lot. The rotala hra in the back right is finally starting to get reddish pink on the tips and hopefully it just gets better from here. I had the lighting set at 7 hours but I think with the chihiros I will cut it back to 6 again.

The empty spot in the tank was where I had my buce. I think the tank is too warm because the buce just isn't doing very well, I've always had it grow nicer in unheated tanks. Betta temps seem a bit too warm. I ordered a flamingo crypt from another hobbyist which will come this week and it will be placed upfront there in the midground.

Anyways here's some pictures!
Plant Flower Purple Light Rectangle

Plant Purple Rectangle Lighting Flower

Plant Flower Purple Rectangle Pink

Flower Purple Plant Pink Violet

Flower Plant Purple Leaf Petal

Flower Purple Plant Petal Leaf

Christmas ornament Plant Purple Nature Leaf

21 - 28 of 28 Posts