The Planted Tank Forum banner

My first DSLR Camera...

3K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  wood 
#1 · (Edited)
A buddy of mine is a professional photographer and today we went to Everglades National Park to take some pictures. They are posted below. This is my first digital camera other than the 6 year old Nikon I have been using forever which you cannot change the little lens that is on it.

Well to make a long story short he sold me a Canon D10 DSLR, (3) different size Canon "L" series lenses including several Macro lenses (get ready for some really really up-close pics of plants and shrimp :) ), battery pack, tripod, the list goes on, all for only $500. This was after we went and took pictures, he was happy that I was really into photography so he "got rid of" some old stuff... I lucked out big time! This camera setup was my dream for photography.. I am very happy.

Since this is my first major camera I didn't know what the hell I was doing. The first two photos below are ones he took with my camera. The last one is mine, one of over 40 I took today. The rest of my shots are ok. After the entire day of shooting I finally managed to get a non-blurry shot. Somehow he is able to take my camera and produce awesome shots like it is nothing. I will be patient and learn over time. Enjoy.

See less See more
#5 ·
What I thought were the macro lenses were simple lens magnifiers. They screw onto the front of the lens and make a micro lens into a macro lens. Basically are contact lenses if that makes any sense. They work fine if you are taking pictures of a flower or something, but not for super magnification. He doesn't take tiny magnified pictures so he doesn't have any use for a macro lens. Apparently taking pictures of small shrimp doesn't make much money :) All of the other equipment is awesome though, just not for aquarium close-up photography. Oh well, I am definitely not complaining... Well sorta am :)

Anyhow I tried to take some pictures of shrimp using the "contact lenses." I fooled around with it for an hour and finally managed to get some "decent" shots. Definitely not the quality I want, very blurry. I will save up up and get a macro lens. Not having a macro lens and trying to shoot shrimp is very difficult. I will try to get better pictures when I have more time to mess with it....

#8 ·
Well to make a long story short he sold me a Canon D10 DSLR, (3) different size Canon "L" series lenses including several Macro lenses (get ready for some really really up-close pics of plants and shrimp :) ), battery pack, tripod, the list goes on, all for only $500
:eek: :eek: :eek: $500. I hope you bought him a beer or two. Since you paid $500 for all those items listed above, you have no excuse - go buy that Canon 100mm f/2.8.

Enjoy it !

#10 ·
Wow, very jealous. Forget the beers, buy that friend a steak!

I also just got my first D-SLR, but right now only have the "kit lens" that came with the 30D, and a 580 speed light.

OK, I have to start looking into these macro filters.

#12 ·
I'm not sure about Canon, but for the Nikons there are a few lense reversers that can be a very cost effective option to buying a macro lense. They look like this and I've been tempted for quite some time:

eBay.ca: 58mm Lens Reverse mount macro adapter for Nikon body (item 190081587516 end time 13-Feb-07 15:40:00 EST)

The results I've seen have been very good, if you've a good sharp standard lense it'll work well with this setup.

***edit*** after thinking about it for years I just clicked 'buy it now' on ebay...can't wait!

#13 ·
You seriously need to take that buddy of your's out for a decent meal or something; that's one heck of a deal you got there.

Kuhli, which lens are you using that has a 58mm front element? The cheapest lens to use would probably be the 50mm f/1.8D but that has a 52mm front element.

#15 ·
He doesn't make money being a photographer, he is just really good at it.

He has a lot of money and does this as a hobby in actuality. He just got divorced so he was more than happy to get rid of his ex's camera and all of the equipment. He felt I should pay for it to appreciate it more. . I probably shouldn't have put "pro photographer" because it leads to the impression that he takes picture for money. He probably wouldn't let me treat him to dinner.

I talked to him today and he may help me out with getting the Canon 100mm f/2.8 macro lens by buying it for me and putting me on a "payment plan." I am already addicted to photography now... :)

#16 ·
I am so jealous!!! I have a cannon Rebel XT, and I have the 18-55 zoom, and a 75-300 zoom (great for taking pictures of deer when camping). I want a "close up" filter...seriously, where can I get one? I have the micro feature on my camera, but I can't get the "close-up" pictures! I looked into a macro lens...$700 for the lense!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.