The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, maybe not so much.

Even though it's my first, I'm pretty sure it's hair algae. I can see it flowing attached to the front of the tank. It was also on the plastic bottle piece I used to keep the currents down. the plastic piece is now in the garbage :icon_neut

Anyway, I have a standard 5.5g rectangle from walmart, but I did replace the light on the hood with a 14w daylight cfl bulb, which I have kept on for 10 hrs a day because I was told even java ferns couldnt grow with that light :frown:

The tank is only 2 weeks old, I have 2 java ferns, a few strands of anacharis floating and a cup of moss in between 2 sheets of plastic knitting mesh. It seems to be ok, just not poking out the front like I hoped.

There are also 8 pygmy cories and an orange shrimp. A few RCS and ember tetras are on the way.

Ammonia is zero, but alas I haven't bought a nitrate test yet ($$$)

If I had to guess, I'd say that I actually have too much light. If so, I will gladly buy a timer if I had an idea how many hours a day would be good.

Or is it something else?

Thanks for the help!

Attachments

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, I did a 50% water change, lost the plastic filter baffle, and took a toothbrush to the glass, so the flowing hair/thread is gone for now.

Any opinions on how many hours I should have the 14w bulb on for?

Thanks!

·
Opae Ula Crazed.
1,408 Posts
Froot...

I have some of this same algae. It grows very fast, sometimes the fish get tangled in it even! I have to reach in a couple times a week to thin it out. It does it's best growing in the Java moss...

I certainly prefer this algae over the bluegreen crap I had several months back! LOL!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm hoping that leaving the 14w light on over the tank while I was at work is the cause. I'm going to start turning on the light when I get home at 5 and off when I go to bed at 10. Hope that does the trick.

Not dosing with anything yet, I have a few ember tetras that are getting added soon, and that will add waste and CO2, so I'll wait and see, I guess.

·
Opae Ula Crazed.
1,408 Posts
My lights are on for 8 hours a day... I use pressurized co2, but don't add other ferts. The plants in the tank are growing rapidly, with obvious pearling. Quite a bit of life in the tank, fish, shrimp and snails, so the tank is fed twice a day.

There is a bit of brown algae at times, which the nerite snails and algae eating gobies keep under check.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts