The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
I like it. Clean, but not sterile. Very aquatic.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Bump: The fish are white cloud minnows. The previous substrate was from a 50lb bag of sand I bought from Home Depot. I replaced it with some black sand but I'm thinking of swapping substrate again because the black sand grain is too small

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Added some plant in my hob filter. Not sure what it is but it was a slow grower in a small vase

Bump: The crypt parva emersed leaves are dieing off and new emersed stems are showing :)

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
The plant in the HOB is called Lucky Bamboo. Not a true bamboo, but called so because of the way it looks. It's scientific name is Dracaena braunii (or alternatively called Dracaena sanderiana). Just keep the leaves above water and it will grow fine (it is a slower grower).

Usually when a plant has deteriorating/melt leaves, the damage on the leaf is unrepairable and is best to cut those damaged leaves off so the plant doesn't waste energy trying to repair what can't be repaired, rather than use/focus that energy towards new growth. I'm not sure if the melting leaves from emersed plants transitioning to submersed growth also wastes energy trying to repair melting leaves or not. Just to be more certain, I would just go ahead and cut off deteriorating leaves (they are gonna melt/die anyway).

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'll go ahead and remove the emersed leaves. The tank is extremely low
Maintenance. I replace half a cup of water everyday and that's it. Fish get fed 6 days a week. They eat what I eat, blanched carrot, cucumber, sometimes a small piece of protein

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.