The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i have about 10 or 11 tetras and i try to feed them but this one tetra keeps snatching up all the food. it looks like he might be constipated but hes still eating and basically snatching all the food before the others can get it. im not sure what to do.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
When I had greedy fish like that I flooded the tank with a lot of tiny particles so all the fish have a chance to get a few bites in. You can also put in a little at a time until all the fish are interested in feeding then add the cloud of food. My fish eat better when the water is warmer too. You might need to turn off the filter so the food stays in the tank but my fish seem more interested in moving food than stuff drifting to the bottom. Are you floating the food or mixing it with a bit of water so it sinks right away? My fish prefer sinking food.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hey kathyy i just tried that. my fat tetra literally got so freaking fat. I can literally see the lumps in him because he just eats so much of the food pellets. im not really concerned about the other fish not getting food im just concerned about how to stop getting him to eat so much. i feel like he might just explode or something.

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
You may have to separate that fish for a while. Just when you are feeding, if that is possible. Put a grain or a flake in a corner and trap the greedy fish.
Then feed the others. Let them take their time and clean up pretty good. Then release the greedy fish.

To reduce the problems of constipation add roughage to the diet.
Daphnia (I get frozen and freeze dried, and raised live ones one summer- all the fish seem to like them in all the forms)
Peas (if they will eat them)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts