62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just set up a new tank:

75 gallons glass tank.
1 T5 HO light. 6500K with reflector.
eco-complete substrate.
Few live plants currently.
Few fish/shrimp

Whenever I look at my tank, and my eye move from 1 location to another location in the tank. My eyes feel dizzy.

This also happened to my family members when look at this tank. So, this is not my eye problem, but the tank problem.

Does anyone experience with this problem? Can it be a T5 HO light?

Thanks

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you look at the tank from the corner of your eye, from peripheral vision only, do you see the lights flickering?
The light bulb is brandnew, I don't think it has this problem yet. I don't feel the light refreshing.

I guess it is glass of the tank.

I look straight in the front (my eye close to the tank), my eye moves from 1 location to another, I just feel dizzy. If I put my eye very close to the tank and look down to the bottom - front side corner, I can't even see anything.

So, my guess is, it is the tank.

If anyone confirm this, that would be great.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
A 75g does have thicker glass than a 30g. Since glass bends light differently than water, it will be more noticeable, like a lens effect. I've never heard it referred to as dizzying, but it can be distracting.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Float glass (as most aquarium glass is produced) is not always perfectly flat and often has some slight irregularities (imagine waves/ripples over a large area). This causes different amounts of diffraction making some parts seem warped and making you dizzy. On top of this, if your tank is tempered, the surface tension can cause further noticeable effects. Though float glass is supposed to be 'perfectly' flat, once you add water, these very slight variations become highly visible at certain angles or when shifting focus

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, just going on a whim here

My 75g likes to make everyone feel sea sick as they approach it :D but once up close you cannot tell

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Stand at the end of the tank check for bulging of the front of the glass. Maybe there is some distortion from that? My old thin walled acrylic tank has convex reflections on the front pane and concave ones from the back pane, spooky looking!

Do check the air quality, gas or carbon monoxide can really sneak up on you.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I think it's his family, are there any gas appliences in the house???

I've never heard of such a thing, only bow fronts and acrylic tanks give that magnified look. My tank has 1/2 inch glass and it never bothers me.
Lmao. My 75g does the same thing. It's the refraction of the glass, not his family.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Lmao. My 75g does the same thing. It's the refraction of the glass, not his family.
A 75g does have thicker glass than a 30g. Since glass bends light differently than water, it will be more noticeable, like a lens effect. I've never heard it referred to as dizzying, but it can be distracting.
Thank guys. That sounds right. Moreover, I believe the reflection of light around the walls, light fixture reflector, and substrate also contribute a portion to this as well.

That says, looking at the plants is better than looking at the substrate. <-- that is what I notice :icon_roll

Once I have a chance of getting home before night, I would check about light reflection issue.

So, now I'm thinking about to cover all substrate with the plants. Hope it reduces this problem <--- any idea on this?

·
Banned
943 Posts
Yeah my only guess is its the glass impurities and bends. My petsmart tanks make me kinda dizzy if I get up real close and try to look at the inside of the tank at an angle.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah my only guess is its the glass impurities and bends. My petsmart tanks make me kinda dizzy if I get up real close and try to look at the inside of the tank at an angle.
I bought my 75 tank at petsmart as well. I have exactly the same problem. So, what is the deal now? Tear everything down and return? exchange? Possible get the same problem with the new tank? :help:

Probably...look at his last post and compare it to his first

:D

Just playing with shonick ;)
What was the differences? :icon_roll

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.