The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

You might have seen the thread where I introduced my new 55g with 6 Odessa Barbs and 6 Maccullochi Rainbowfish. The Odessas look stunning to me with their strong red coloration and after searching for information in the internet I decided to get a group of them. They are often presented as a peaceful kind of barb that is perfect for a community tank. For example, seriouslyfish.com states that they are "Generally very peaceful making it an ideal resident of the well-researched community aquarium". YouTuber Rachel O'Leary says in her species profile video that their behavior is very peaceful for a barb and that they are perfect for a more general community aquarium. That was not my experience. They started to chase and nip my corydoras, panda garras and rainbowfish. So, I had to return them to the pet store. Just wanted to share the information: Odessa barbs are gorgeous, but not suitable for a general community tank.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Thanks for sharing your experience with the Odessa Barbs. I also think they are beautiful and have read that they are considered "peaceful". I've considered them a few times to house with diamond and candy cane tetras but never got around to finally buying any. People can often have very different experiences with a particular species and it's good to hear both good and bad before making a commitment.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Thanks for sharing. Sometime what you read can be different from what you experience. I once read that Rosy barb were peaceful, so I got 6 males with brilliant gold color like goldfish. But unlike goldfish, they were not peaceful but fought one another non stop with fins always torn. So I got rid of them and replaced with tiger barb that are known to be fin nipper. To my surprise, my tiger barb shoal peacefully most of time with only occasional sparring.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I had a bad experience with cherry barbs. They looked stunning but were far from peaceful, constantly fighting and harassing my other fish (rasboras and cories), so I gave them away.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sorry to hear you had to return yours! They can be fun.
I've got a different experience. 9 (Greg Sage's) Odessa Barbs in a moderately planted 40 breeder with half a dozen Dwarf Neon Rainbows, bunch of of corydoras and a bristlenose just turned out into a great tank. The energy of the barbs and rainbows matches each other, enough room for the other guys to have their space. Maybe 6 barbs was not big enough school for them to feel safe in your situation? Hard to say now.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Yeah, sometimes fish don't read the book, so to speak. The vast majority of people say silver tip tetras are extremely peaceful, for instance, but my best friend has a group that acts like a pack of underfed piranhas. They are downright vicious to anything with substantial finnage.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.