The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I know a lot of people here pull up Blyxa japonica and replant it when it gets to long. Since I have a 2.5g with it in it, it would rip my whole tank up if I tried to pull it up. Because of that I have been mowing it. I trim the leaves above the main stem. That way the new shoots help hide the cut ones and it is impossible to tell it was mowed down. Also The tips never turn brown on me. Since the stem slowly continues to get bigger I have been forced to cut the actual stem instead of just the leaves and since this is a stem plant, cutting the stem should not be a problem (except for looking strange until it grows back out). Eventually I will have to cut the stem to the bottom and hope the plant grows back out or pull it up a little, in a way to not rip up all the substrate in the tank, cut the plant at the base (leaving it to hopefully rot and become plant food), and then replant the stem after cutting it down to the desired height. This was to just share my experience. Feel free to chime in if you have any suggestions on how I could replant it without ripping up my whole tanks substrate.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
The way I do it is by burying my scissors to the substrate to cut the roots around the mother stem, and just uproot very slowly..

·
Registered
15 Posts
I too have some blyxa that I recently acquired and have been searching how to keep it trimmed. I wasn't exactly clear on your process and was hoping you could clarify for me, as I too do not want to rip up the plants and substrate etc. Are you just trimming the leaves? Doesn't trimming the stem require uprooting the plant?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.