The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first(true) planted tank. I've done vivariums and paludariums but when I saw this tank at the pet store I wanted to give it a go with a planted low tech nano tank. Hope everybody likes it. Thanks
Feedback welcome.

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
Looks very good!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@jamesyu it's a potting soil/flourite mix with some more flourite on top of the sand to make it look more natural.

@skindy 2 pieces that used to be 1, I cut it in half so it would fit.

@CrazyCatPeekin thank you I hope it does well.

I hope the lighting is sufficient enough to keep the plants alive.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have an evolve 4 myself. Hopefully by this weekend I will have it set up. Let us know how the light works out growing your plants.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
if you keep out the duck weed and water lettuce, the stock led will allow you to keep medium light plants. mine have been thriving even though i'm incessant on replanting stuff. My ocd i guess. ive been seeing new sprouts and offshoots since planting. The only thing that hasnt taken off is the dwarf tears. i suppose emersion or co2 would help the cause but its contrary to my goal of keeping shrimp and my otto. so for now everyone's happy, molting, feeding and whatnot.

Great layout. its hard to find a small piece of drift that would fit inside...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@acitydweller thanks for the info/kind words I am not going to be using any floating plants.

Now what about fert dosing or CO2. Will these plants do ok without? Should I use Excel to make up for the lack of CO2?

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
I would say, if your plants are having a hard time settling in or growing, then dosing would be an easy next step.

For some to really flourish, then co2 would be it, but then you might be looking to get a stronger lamp to take advantage of the co2 growth...

My tank basically started with whatever seemed low to medium light. i know one stem plant didnt really flourish though the stems are still alive and shooting small leaves but this mega slow imho.... let it run for a while and see how things work out. i tend to keep things simple but that's just me :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I started dosing with Excel today, I'm thinking every other day for that. Also how often and what percentage should I do water changes on this tank? I already want to do another planted tank :tongue: but I've been working on a vivarium that I really want to finish before I dive into anything else. Here is a picture of the work in progress (I know this is the wrong forum :icon_wink)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts