The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So. Thanks to Zapins and this thread that he did, http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/...inners-guide-starting-your-first-emersed.html, I am starting one. So far I have all the supplies minus plants, and I even have a couple of those. Here is what I have so far.

110 qt. Clear container with clear top.
4x 6 qt. Clear containers.
36" dual lamp T5HOfixture with 10,000K bulb and 5,000K bulb. The 10,000K will change to a 6,500/6,700K bulb when I can get it.
Cheap humidity and temp guages.
2x 8 qt. bags of Potting Soil.

I also picked up 2 plants from petco, one is a 4" peacock fern that I know is not aquatic, so I am going to try it in a terrarium at a later date, and one is a 4" Argentine Sword. I am going to try both of these in this setup.

I am also going to get some Java Fern, as many mosses as I can find, some crypts, HC, UG, and some terrarium plants as well. I may also try some stem plants too. And now, off to the drilling and setting up.

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wish i could find that container near by =p walmart doesnt carry it but they carry the 90 qt sterilite! gl with your setup =] i may be able to send you a little ug in an envelope in a week or two will let you know how it grows for me
That would be awesome. Just let me know. I got my tub at Target for like 22 bucks. But I am hoping it will pay off in the end.

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Drilled all the boxes and put the dirt in them. It is really easy to drill them if you nest them and do them all at once.

Holey box, Batman! (Sorry, couldn't resist.)

I didn't sift the dirt or anything. I wanted to leave it all in there.

Dirt and bins in the big box.

Almost done.

The top is Peacock Fern and the bottom is Argentine Sword. Not sure how they will do, but am going to try.

Houston, we have light!

This is the temp and humidity right after I closed up the box. Now, it is at 79* and 83% humidity.

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks nice. Emersed set-ups are a lot of fun, I hope you enjoy yours.
Thanks man. Waking up this morning was like Christmas to me. I got to go get all the stuff for this project and some others as well. (Call me crazy....)

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
It was like that when I did mine too. Except I didn't get humidity/temp gauges, so you have a pretty well equipped setup. Any plans for plants?

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It was like that when I did mine too. Except I didn't get humidity/temp gauges, so you have a pretty well equipped setup. Any plans for plants?
I kind of grabbed those on the fly. I didn't expect to get them, I just figured it would be a good investment. I also have a thermometer in the water as well and a fish tank heater on stand-by if the need should arise.

I don't have a definite plant list yet, but I do want as many mosses as I can find, some Java Fern, UG, HC, cryptos, and some stem plants. I may also stick some plants for vivs in there as well if the humidity holds. I am thinking broms and that sort for when I get my dart frog tank started.

I am thinking for the mosses and ferns that hanging some coco fiber sheets on the walls with the end in the water would be good to mount broms and the aforementioned mosses and ferns on. I really don't want to have to hook up a misting system or fogger. What do you think?

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
I don't have much experience with ferns in emersed tanks, but I assume it could work. Misting once a day should be fine. I don't even do that sometimes. I usually keep the humidity up for a few days when I'm trying to get a new plant to adjust to emersed growth.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Welcome to the emersed "zappin style" club lol. I've got 4 of these things going now. I love them. I can satisfy my collectoritis but not have my tanks packed with too many species.

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't have much experience with ferns in emersed tanks, but I assume it could work. Misting once a day should be fine. I don't even do that sometimes. I usually keep the humidity up for a few days when I'm trying to get a new plant to adjust to emersed growth.
I am thinking the coco fiber would be good for transferring water up to the plants, but I am going to have to play around with it a bit. I will post updates on it when I do it though.

Welcome to the emersed "zappin style" club lol. I've got 4 of these things going now. I love them. I can satisfy my collectoritis but not have my tanks packed with too many species.
Thank you.:icon_smil So far I am loving it. I can't wait to get more plants for it. I also need to change a bulb on my fixture. But we will see. Do you have a thread or pics of your setups?

Oh cool, I just realized I have all the stuff laying around to make a mini one.
DO IT!!!:proud: And put a thread on the forum about it. And post a link to it here. Lol. ( I am trying to peer pressure you, btw)

A little update, the bin water is 78*F, the air temp is 80*, and the humidity is still like 82%. I am hoping it will hold humidity well enough to where I won't have to mist every day. But we will see. I am also thinking of adding a fish tank heater to the water to bring it up closer to 82*-84*F. What do you all think?

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
i got a tub but will be doing a 3 box setup for now, stupid walmart again was missing the lids for the larger one, their excuse for not having them is that people assume they're free and just take them.... stupid people work there jeeze... anyway I look forward to seeing your growth, my growth on my s repens is exploding already and I can't wait to transfer to the new tub

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i got a tub but will be doing a 3 box setup for now, stupid walmart again was missing the lids for the larger one, their excuse for not having them is that people assume they're free and just take them.... stupid people work there jeeze... anyway I look forward to seeing your growth, my growth on my s repens is exploding already and I can't wait to transfer to the new tub
I know that feeling. I found a box the same size today for like $5 cheaper at HD, but no lid, and they could not even find the guy that worked that section. Oh well. And I can't wait to see your setup. I almost did a 3 tub setup. I am thinking I am going to end up with another one of these setups in the near future. Not sure where I am going to put it though.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
just finished my custom light fixture, the wiring took about 4 hours.... just gotta attach fans now... the light is super intense all the fixture needs now is painted white inside, will post pics here if you allow it after the fans are installed and i finish the wiring, shouldn't take long

·
Registered
343 Posts

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey maybe you could take a pump and attach a nozzle to it on a timer, so you don't even need to spray it!
I was thinking of investing in a Mist King in the near future as I am going to need one anyway when I get my dart frogs and crested geckos. But not sure. I also thought of the pump thing as well, and was thinking of making a drip wall to grow mosses and ferns if I can.

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
just finished my custom light fixture, the wiring took about 4 hours.... just gotta attach fans now... the light is super intense all the fixture needs now is painted white inside, will post pics here if you allow it after the fans are installed and i finish the wiring, shouldn't take long
Please do.:proud: I am going to need to make a hood for 10gal and my Paludarium really soon. The Palu is going to be my next big project that I need to get done. Then on to some vivs.

oh btw keep it nice and humid if you want the plants to transfer a little easier =p i like plants so im growing mostly for my own selfish reasons but will likely donate to my club my clippings
I am at about 82% humidity and the water temp is about 74*F and the air is about 76*F. I am going to see what the tamps do today and see if I need to add the heater, but the humidity has been steady since last night.

Sewingalot started a thread a while back and I posted in it. Scroll down near the bottom of the page for the last pics I took.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/plants/140403-my-first-real-emersed-setup-zapins-3.html
I was reading that thread the last few days. I am going to go look at it again now though. Thanks man.

1 - 20 of 132 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.