The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had an extra packet of rain-'s shrimpy biscuits and some fert tabs that I got from her at my office. Earlier this week I moved cubes, so I took the opportunity to clean out some stuff and take it home. I had the biscuits (still in original baggy) in the bottom of a box filled with other stuff from the office and I made the mistake of setting the box on the couch.

Well... my dog can be a very bad girl and she got into it, I woke up this morning to find a shredded shrimpy baggie and no sign of the biscuits on the floor, and even worse - I found the little beads from inside the fert capsules ALL over the couch! I have NO idea how many capsules she may have swallowed, but needless to say I'm worried.

I left for work and she seemed ok, but I am going home to check on her at lunch.

Does anyone know if Tropica's Plant Nutrition+ capsules are poisonous when swallowed???
 

·
Everyone has an opinion
Joined
·
1,677 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
714 Posts
I already answered you by PM, but I thought I should answer here too, so if something like this happens to someone else in the future, they can find some information from this thread.

Here's the information from the instruction part from the package:
N 15%, P 4%, K 7.5%, Mg 1.8% Fe 0.4%, Mn 0.06%, Cu 0.05%, Mo 0.02%, B 0.02%, Zn 0.0015%. 12 capsules weigh 12 grams, 36 weigh 36 grams.

All the fert packages do have the keep away from children, but I wouldn't think that these capsules are highly toxic when swallowed, especially when it's just a few capsules (I can't remember how many there was, 5, 8?). They are safe to use in an aquarium, and fish and inverts are more sensitive to many things than dogs. Of course there's so many differences between fish and dogs that they aren't directly comparable.

I hope they will be able to give you a nice and detailed answer at Tropica. Is there a vet or some place you could call without extra fee and ask about dogs+ferts?

I have a yellow labrador that eats just about anything and our giant schnauzer specializes to eating walls, plastic, wood and other hard objects. They've eaten so many things that shouldn't be eaten and I know it's just horrible to have to worry. I hope your dog will be fine, I'm almost certain that she will. Dogs are tough ones with iron cased tummies.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
594 Posts
Could you call a Vet or Poison Control? (I think there is a number to call for pets too?). That way you can have peace of mind. Ummm, did you put newspapers down or put her outside? If it does affect her, the first thing will be that she'll throw up to get rid of it.

Tina
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,254 Posts
POOR BABY....
keep an eye on stool/vomit and obviously her appetite. Keep us posted.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the kind words everybody. I'll be keeping a close eye on her and I'll be sure to update tonight at dinner time when I see if she has any appetite at all. Like rain- said though, doggies do have iron clad stomachs, and this one has eaten many things she shouldn't have in the past, so I am encouraged.

I posted this before, but thought I'd share again. It is an older picture. She's slimmed down some since getting her own backyard to run around in, but not much!

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank goodness! The puppy is doing just fine this evening. I didn't find any puke, her stool seems normal and she still has an appetite. I was half expecting to see one of those fert capsules come out the other end (She ate one of my dice once, and it came out in one piece. No, I didn't continue to use it either!). Thanks all for the well wishes. It looks like the ferts either aren't poisonous or she didn't eat enough to affect her.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
889 Posts
Thank goodness! The puppy is doing just fine this evening. I didn't find any puke, her stool seems normal and she still has an appetite. I was half expecting to see one of those fert capsules come out the other end (She ate one of my dice once, and it came out in one piece. No, I didn't continue to use it either!). Thanks all for the well wishes. It looks like the ferts either aren't poisonous or she didn't eat enough to affect her.
Glad to hear nothing happened to your dog!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
845 Posts
Good to hear she doing fine Jen! :) It's amazing what our lil ones will get into. LOL One time my Westie got into my fish cabinet and ate 1/2 a can of fish food. You can imagine what his breath smelled like. L
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Troels Anderson at Tropica responded, FYI:

Dear Jen

No worries – most doubtful your dog will have a hard stomack untill it is broken down, but the product should not course any problems. It contains nutrients – different mineral salts – and is encapsulated in a fat membrane and in a gelatine capsule.

I have contacted the producer of the product and asked them just to make you 100% OK – and I will of course send you an e-mail when I get information back.

Best regards

Troels
...and 30 minutes later...

Dear Jen

I have now spoken with the producer – there should not be any risk. Most probably is the granulate intact, and will continue through the system without giving problems. Let your dog drink a lot of water – that is the general advice.

Best regards

Troels
Great guys!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
612 Posts
you could also try giving her some h2o2. it makes them throw up. its nasty and messy but it gets there stomach contents up. if they are harmful that should help
This Method should only be used directly after poison consumption and take caution, it's a bad mix if your dog has eaten something that will react badly with it. After a couple of hours whatever was in the stomach would have already made it down the digestive tract and it would be pointless to make the poor thing sick.I just wanted to say this in case someone needs the info for later use. I found all this out when I worked at a vets. office. Someone let their dog eat rat poison and we had to feed it H2O2 to induce vomiting.
I'm glad to hear your pup's ok! Hopefully this thread will help someone in the future. Beautiful pup btw!
 
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top