The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I opened a new bag of Flourish root-tabs, sans scissors, the bag exploded and root-tabs went everywhere. :| . I thought I had gathered them all up but stupidly didn't compare how many I found to the number of tabs that come in the bag. A few hours later I noticed our dog, a 15 lb. pomeranian-eskimo mix, happily engaged under the coffee table with a mouthful of...something. I pried open his jaws and extracted, you guessed it, a very soggy and disgusting blob that was formerly a root-tab. They must be hard as rocks as he wasn't able to chew the thing to pieces, and I'm praying that he didn't ingest much of it. I've watched him very carefully since for any signs/symptoms of digestive upset or worse, but he's been fine so far. Anyone know the toxicity of these things if ingested by creatures other than plants? I am so thankful that I caught him in the act before he could swallow the whole root-tab, but from judging the soggy blob that emerged from his mouth I'm sure at least some of it would have dissolved in his saliva. I love this dog and would not hesitate to take him to a vet if necessary, but am also trying to avoid uber-expensive interventions and diagnostics if possible. Since the dog is acting normally (with the exception of sniffing around trying to find more root-tabs...you'd think I had scattered a pound of bacon around instead!) I have decided to just continue to observe him carefully. Any thoughts or advice appreciated!

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
Hi @makeme,

Good news, Seachem Flourish Tabs contain mostly potassium with some iron and other nutrients. According to the Safety Data Sheet (previously MSDS).
"Acute oral toxicity

The calculated ATE(mix) for this product is >50,000.Product has negligible toxicity if swallowed'
Let the dog have lots of water, stool may be a little runny until it passes through the system.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi @makeme,

Good news, Seachem Flourish Tabs contain mostly potassium with some iron and other nutrients. According to the Safety Data Sheet (previously MSDS).

Let the dog have lots of water, stool may be a little runny until it passes through the system.
Thanks for the info, greatly appreciated! I'm happy to say that my dog has had no ill-effects so far. Crisis averted!!

Reactions: Seattle_Aquarist

·
Registered
148 Posts
As far as possible future events, you might want to have hydrogen peroxide on hand with a syringe. Make sure the bottle you buy is only 3% and the rule of thumb is 1 teaspoon for every 5 lbs of the animal's weight and never more that 3 tables spoons. You squire the hydrogren peroxide in the dogs month, towards the back of the throat with a syringe and the dog will vomit what ever it ate within 20 minutes. You can google this, I'm sure, but obviously you would have to act before digestion.

·
Registered
921 Posts
As far as possible future events, you might want to have hydrogen peroxide on hand with a syringe. Make sure the bottle you buy is only 3% and the rule of thumb is 1 teaspoon for every 5 lbs of the animal's weight and never more that 3 tables spoons. You squire the hydrogren peroxide in the dogs month, towards the back of the throat with a syringe and the dog will vomit what ever it ate within 20 minutes. You can google this, I'm sure, but obviously you would have to act before digestion.

I'd strongly recommend not doing anything like that without consulting a vet first. Some things are actually more dangerous if you induce vomiting!

If vomiting does need to be induced a vet can do it with a safe injection, not a chemical that has the potential to cause more harm just by itself and you have no idea how will react with what the original thing ingested was.

Best option is to call a vet with as much info on the product as possible. They have access to hotlines on poisoning/expert knowledge on history with different animals. They'll be able to give you advice on whether you should just monitor at home, give any treatment or rush them straight in.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My dog got very poisoned after this and went to the hospital. It hurt me to watch them suffer. I then turned for help to all my friends who also have Pets. They advised me a lot of veterinarians and special expensive clinics. I spent a lot of money while I went through all the options and only one clinic was able to offer me something good. They advised me on a website that talked about special water https://thepetsmaster.com/best-water-additive-for-dogs-teeth/.I Sarzo ordered this water and my dog in a couple of days it became easier. I'm very I am grateful to these guys for advising a great way out of my situation.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts