The Planted Tank Forum banner

My DIY Lights, Stand and a derimmed 40g breeder!

4867 19
Hey folks,

I just got done with most of my hardware stuff and I'm so excited to share! Got ALOT of inspiration from Hydrophyte and his stand (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=85748) that I had to do one my self. It took a lot longer than expected to complete the project, and more money than I wanted to spend, but man it looks great! Here are some pictures. I wish I took some while I was derimming the tank, and making the lights.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
This is a saweeeeeeeeeeet set up, what type of bulbs are those?

Hey folks,

I just got done with most of my hardware stuff and I'm so excited to share! Got ALOT of inspiration from Hydrophyte and his stand (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=85748) that I had to do one my self. It took a lot longer than expected to complete the project, and more money than I wanted to spend, but man it looks great! Here are some pictures. I wish I took some while I was derimming the tank, and making the lights.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm about to set up a 40B as well... just got my stand. I'd be worried about the seams busting with all the water pressure without the top rim. Have you seen/heard of anyone else doing this with success? How about testing the tank for a week or 2 outside just to be safe?
I actually did a week long test with the tank filled to the top. You can see VERY SLIGHT (like 2-3 mm at the center) bowing, but it held very well. No leaks or anything. I would not however remove the bottom rim. For your sake, I would do the same test. Just because mine didn't leak or break, doesn't mean you will get the same result.

And in reality, if the seams are going to go, the rim won't help it. I think for the 40B (since it has no center brace), the top rim is more for covers, or lights to be placed on it than for actual support.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.