The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have six discus 2 mandarin 2 sun red 1 ocean green and 1 leopard. They range in size from 2" to 4.5" and they spend most of the day and all of the night hiding in the "forest" in the corner of the tank. A few of them come out in the morning to eat but I think if I didn't spot feed them they would never eat. What is wrong. 1 of them is new like a day old and even he hides from me. I thought if I got a new one he would be used to people and wouldn't hide. If their out and I walk into the bed room the shoot into the forest.
Is there anything I can do or is this just a waiting game?

·
Registered
879 Posts
Yes, there are things you can do. At two inches you have no time to wait. Send me a PM about your tank and preferably photo of fish if you want my advice.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I am having this same problem with my harlequins. I know theyre not discus but its the same prob and its frustrating. I want to be able to enjoy my rasboras. I have a group of 8 currently with 4 peppered corys and when the lfs gets more rasboras in then i plan on getting 7 or 8 more. I have had them for almost a month now. So frustrating grrrr.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update on scared Discus

My Discus have started to come around. Thanks to some tips from Brilliant they have started spending more time out of hiding and they are all eating out front where I can see them. They are still a little skittish but as long as I move slow they are ok.
They hate when I do water changes, clean the glass and plant new plants or clippings.
I have a few new plants coming and I hate to stress them out but the tank is so close to being a masterpiece.
As soon as my camera is fixed expect pictures

·
Registered
720 Posts
Im glad your discus have come around. Mind sharing the knowledge of making them come out. My rasboras still wont come out, not for food, not when i turn out the lights, not when i stay away from the tank, not when i move slowly, nothing. The temperature, ph and all the other fun things we need to worry about are with in parameters so WHAT THE HECK! Any knowledge you have learned would be helpful :)

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
are your rasboras new? How big a tank? those fish are most comfortable in schools so you might try to get more, Also are there any fish that might be picking on them?

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I'm glad they're coming around. My guys will hide if I really get active inside the tank, but will eat from my fingers and are always out & about during most normal household activity.

Tommy <9))>>{

·
Registered
720 Posts
My tank is a 20H and there are 8 in the group right now but when the lfs gets more im getting another 8. Ive had them for about a month now. The only other fish in the tank are 4 peppered corys. I have noticed that if i am in my kitchen for a while and i look around the wall they are swimming around but the second more than my head goes around the wall they hide.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts