The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I set this tank up for my 4 year old daughter back in December. It originally had a Hello Kitty decoration in it with a Betta for the first year or so running. The Betta jumped out of the tank, so i figured I'd do it up right.

Lighting: stock 10g hood with two 6500k 13w CFL. I've also spray glued
Mylar to the underside of the hood to help with reflection.

Substrate: Fox Farms Ocean Forest Organic Potting Mix ( I usually use
Miracle Grow but I had a bag of this on hand and wanted to see what it would do. So far there have been no drawbacks I can find and good growth)

Filtration: simple HOB Tetra Filter

Dosing: none what so ever

Plants: Cryptocoryne Lutea, Cryptocoryne Wendti Bronze, Micro Sword,
Sagataria, a small baby Amazon Sword, Ludwigia narrow leaf, a bit of Java Moss for the guppy fry, and Needle Leaf Java Fern.

Fish: 1 female adult Guppy (her male equivalent was moved to another
tank to give her a break from constant pestering) Close to 30 guppy fry, 1 Ghost shrimp, 2 Red Sakura shrimp, ten or so cherry shrimp, and 3 oto cat. A bunch of Ramshorn snails as well.

Growth is slow but steady in this tank. It's pretty low light, but the water is always crystal clear, and both plant life and fish/inverts seem very happy. It's just an easy tank to take care of. I think I've got the balance perfect.

Not the best aquascape in the world, but for a four year old it was more important she see all the plant life and fish and inverts.

Oto cat

Cherry Shrimp

Ghost Shrimp

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Thanks for the inspiration.

My son and I just set up a similar tank and we're just waiting for a few Crypts before we dirt it. Unfortunately, we started with 4 females and 3 males. In hindsight, I wish we would have used 2 female x 1 male. It would have cut back on the constant male pestering and cannibalism. We have 4 fry that surprisingly made it :hihi:

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone! Yeah, male guppy harrassment is out of control sometimes. I think my female is pregnant again. Cannablism has been minimal in this tank. As soon as the fry are bigger I'll move them to a different tank to finish their grow out. Setting up tanks like this for kids is very rewarding. My daughter has learned a lot about plants and fish, and it's something we have in common.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Good for you. I've tried everything to get my daughter interested, but not much gets her interested. She's 17 now. Baby shrimp didn't hook her, but my Discus watching her like little pups looking for a hand out, does get her a little interested. Thank you for your post!

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good for you. I've tried everything to get my daughter interested, but not much gets her interested. She's 17 now. Baby shrimp didn't hook her, but my Discus watching her like little pups looking for a hand out, does get her a little interested. Thank you for your post!
Haha, yeah my daughter is only 4 so she's pretty into it. I can imagine by the time she's a teenager she might not be so interested in it as much.:smile:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.