The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are some various shots of dart frogs that I have.

D. amazonicus

D. azureus

D. pumilio "Cayo de Agua" (just got a pair of these yesterday, more pics to come)

D. pumilio "Bastimentos" (unfortunately the darker orange male died due to calcium deficieny) :(

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
oOOO!
D.amazonicus is my favorite all time PDF.
BTW:gonzo: yes, you can touch them, but it's not good for them. they get their toxin from wild insects.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Dart frogs are way cool. I've kicked around the idea of getting some, but I have too many critters already. But man, is that blue one pretty!! And the yellow one's awful cute, too.

Do you have pictures of their entire terrarium/vivarium/cage thing? From the plants I can see, it looks like it's beautiful.

·
Registered
520 Posts
oooo i wanted to get some dart frogs, but brians tropicals ran out of them....where did you get them?
I was at his house maybe 2 weeks ago. He looked like he had plenty, but my main interest were crystal red shrimp. He doesn't seem to get his page updated too often, so you could email him and ask, just in case he does have them in stock.

http://brianstropicals.com/ohio_dart_frogs.html

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have no idea on the species name but I think its common name is Tropical sheet moss. I collected near my house, although BlackJungle sells it sometimes.

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Tyler great pictures! I really want to get some PDFs but am trying to hold off... Oh so hard... I have an empty 45g sitting next to me calling for some frogs...:icon_roll

How much light you pumping in there?

-Andrew

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the comments.
Yes it's an FCA insert. I actually tore down the 20g because of the ventilation issue. When I first recieved it, the vent slits still had the small pieces inside of them which caused fogging and rotting issues. After removing them, I didnt notice much difference, so I went ahead and moved the trio into a temp. 10g, and tore the sucker down.

·
Registered
13,609 Posts
Are you getting any clutches or Tadpoles?

I love these guys and kept some years ago, but I cannot keep up on the feeding routines.

That's the only issue for :redface:

BTW, you can grow HC in those tanks as a lawn if you wish(idea!)
As long as it's damp, you have enough light from the looks of it.

Regards,
Tom Barr

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks guys. :)
I have only recieved one clutch from the amazonicus, and none from the cayos. The owner previously got eggs from the cayos, so I got my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
74 Posts
gorgeous frogs! How difficult are they to keep, I had no idea it could be done and now really want some! I know first hand how incredible they are to look at. I hope its not too much of a hijack, but I took these in the Peruvian Amazon and thought I would share.

One
One on a leaf
Two
Three

(sorry but I can't seem to embed the images from google's Picasa hosting :/) If you could tell me the species that would be really cool, just out of curiosity, but don't go out of your way to figure it out.

P.S. As you can see, even the poisonous ones are handleable. Its critical however that you don't touch the pit on their back where the poison is concentrated. Our guide kept the frogs hydrated in order to prevent them from being hurt. While he didn't have any problems from the poison, he was exposed to a small amount and had to was his hands afterwards.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.