The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, thank you for replying to my post regarding to my GH+ question...

I would like to ask another question.... everytime I do water change (the source is tap + RO 50/50), I found that some of my shrimps will start to fade... especially the color red... will change to very light...so light that I can see some of the saddle.

Tank size: ADA 60P
TDS: 90-100
PH: 6.4
GH: 3
KH: 1
Temp: around 20
Feed: with spinch, shirakura, fluval shrimp food.
No3: around 40... I know it may be a problem but currently I tried to change water twice a week with about 1/3 of the tank water.
Some minor problem: no planaria...but I do have trouble with hair algae...which may be related to NO3?
Light time: 5-6 hours a day.

I know it is not right...and these happen on about 10 of my 30 shrimps...

Any possible factors would cause this? Also, if I see some shrimps that their white color change to "light yellow"...I know they may not be able to live long...

Hope you can help and any advise will appreciate.

Popy

·
Banned
1,377 Posts
you TDS is really low. have you tested your tap water? might be an easy way for you to raise it.

here's a good range to shoot for:

Crystal Red/Black Shrimp
PH: 6.2 – 6.6
KH: 0 – 2
GH: 4 – 6
TDS: 100 – 180
Water temp: 21 – 23

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Bostoneric... so is there any factor to raise the TDS...or if I raise my gh little...would that help on my TDS?

·
Registered
274 Posts
A good GH booster won't affect TDS. The GH boosters are actually viewed more "cleaner" if they don't alter TDS - i.e. that is more desirable in a product.

There are a number of good GH boosters out there. For TDS, there is Mosura TDS Up which will raise TDS, but not GH and your other parameters.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok. thanks... I thought TDS being low was a good thing. Another $ to spend.

But would those be the factors my shrimps red color fading after the water change?

·
Registered
704 Posts
I do use the Salty Bee Shrimp GH+ Minerals to mix with RO or (RO/TAP) water, 3grams per every 5 gallons mixed before I use to change the water in tank.

·
Registered
362 Posts
There are also a couple other theories as to possible color loss, though mineral content IS important!
One thought is that shrimps will lose some color as they get older. Another is that light levels affect density of color. Some breeders are using brighter lights to help bring out coloration.

Temperature is also thought to affect color.

I would start by adding something like Bee Shrimpy Salts. My tap is only about 30-45 ppm, so I add with every water change

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts