·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Attachments

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
You'll get no complaints from me. Except one maybe, later.
I do lots of temporary weird things that serve the purpose at the time. My only provision is that it stay in the back room and out of sight of most visitors! Perhaps move the kitchen to another part of the house?
>:)

We do what we gotta do to get the fish what they need!
Maybe you've missed the note about keeping it simple?

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I like this. I have a lot of diy stuff and a most of it doesnt look 'professional'. Ya know what? It isnt because I am no carpenter or engineer! I make it look the best I can and view the imperfections as something unique that make it my own. Not everyone has, or wants to, spend a ton of money on things they can do themselves. The more you diy the better it gets looks and engineering wise. The fish and plants dont care what it looks like as long as it meets their needs and the environment is healthy which to me is the most important thing. The question is will this light provide sufficient light to grow plants and if the answer is yes then the goal was met. Kudos!!

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
29 gallon under a ElectriPak 125 watt Mercury vapor lamp. The pendant hood was made from low density polystyrene sheeting and adhesive aluminum ducting wrap..

Very ghetto and DIY but also a really productive tank for plant growth.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,032 Posts

Haah, you want to see crude?
Some of the previous iterations and my 10W LED driver. Works off 120 or 240V The chip controlling it can do dimming, but I couldn't utilize it within the design parameters I had... The whole final circuit fits inside the base of a light bulb. Was going to be part of the Phillips design competition but things got out of hand with the financiers so we dropped it. We use it to power a 60degree 20W Cree led, that will bust your eyesight. The 10W point is just where its lifespan in use is the longest. I Want to get a hex tank some time and put it on there.

It's a pretty scary circuit... without an LED on the output there is a high frequency 340V output.

I hope the colour is OK, posting from a monitor with busted gamma, as my LCD panel started burning a capacitor in the PSU this morning. Think I powered down in time, but now it is a wait till Monday morning to find a 180uF 450V cap to fix it.

Scroungeineer out.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
You'll get no complaints from me. Except one maybe, later.
I do lots of temporary weird things that serve the purpose at the time. My only provision is that it stay in the back room and out of sight of most visitors! Perhaps move the kitchen to another part of the house?
>:)

We do what we gotta do to get the fish what they need!
Maybe you've missed the note about keeping it simple?
So an update. The DIY light is now nowhere to be seen. The wife thought it looked gawd awful and hid it somewhere. She didn't appreciate the DIY nature of it as much as I did. Hehe...

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
So an update. The DIY light is now nowhere to be seen. The wife thought it looked gawd awful and hid it somewhere. She didn't appreciate the DIY nature of it as much as I did. Hehe...
I can see that happening around here, too. I've just picked up a 20 long and been running over some way to use it. Since it was a freebie off Craigslist, I'm not restricted to success, in my way of thinking. If it doesn't cost anything, I feel like it's okay to break it, right?
Where she is fighting the thinking is when I mentioned using it standing on end!
Project details to be announced later but right now I don't see it as a fish tank but more likely a terrarium or ????

She mentioned that I might find room in the back bedroom.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I think in some ways to truly appreciate some diy, especially ghetto diy, you have to be the type to appreciate a sculpture constructed of rusty scrap metal welded together.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I think in some ways to truly appreciate some diy, especially ghetto diy, you have to be the type to appreciate a sculpture constructed of rusty scrap metal welded together.
You mean like my bigfoot sculpture!:nerd:

·
Registered
1,653 Posts

·
Registered
1,653 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts

Haah, you want to see crude?
Some of the previous iterations and my 10W LED driver. Works off 120 or 240V The chip controlling it can do dimming, but I couldn't utilize it within the design parameters I had... The whole final circuit fits inside the base of a light bulb. Was going to be part of the Phillips design competition but things got out of hand with the financiers so we dropped it. We use it to power a 60degree 20W Cree led, that will bust your eyesight. The 10W point is just where its lifespan in use is the longest. I Want to get a hex tank some time and put it on there.

It's a pretty scary circuit... without an LED on the output there is a high frequency 340V output.

I hope the colour is OK, posting from a monitor with busted gamma, as my LCD panel started burning a capacitor in the PSU this morning. Think I powered down in time, but now it is a wait till Monday morning to find a 180uF 450V cap to fix it.

Scroungeineer out.
can you share circuit schematic of this led driver ? I want to build driver on my own :grin2:

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
can you share circuit schematic of this led driver ? I want to build driver on my own :grin2:

Bump:

I'd have to scratch around... I must have some unpopulated PCBs for it somewhere... not easy finding stuff if you are stuck on permanent manic mode. Just ask the people on here, I don't even sleep.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
More importantly, what LED are you trying to drive?
The circuit is to drive a 42V LED at about 10W, for maximum lifespan.
Best to do is take your LED, Google datasheet and LED number, check the datasheet, it will have curves with lifespan VS forward current.

A proper driver does more than just supplying a stable current or voltage, it prevents overheating by adapting the supply to the temperature of the LED, (resistance, changes with temperature, so just driving at a constant, will have a flywheel effect on temperature).

·
Registered
21 Posts
use a bigger MOSFET :p or use a heatsink for the mosfet
Yeah, but more heat means less efficient and power wastage.I tried to use PT4115 IC but the IC is so small to dissipate heat. so I am finding some other ways to drive LEDs .

Bump:
More importantly, what LED are you trying to drive?
The circuit is to drive a 42V LED at about 10W, for maximum lifespan.
Best to do is take your LED, Google datasheet and LED number, check the datasheet, it will have curves with lifespan VS forward current.

A proper driver does more than just supplying a stable current or voltage, it prevents overheating by adapting the supply to the temperature of the LED, (resistance, changes with temperature, so just driving at a constant, will have a flywheel effect on temperature).
right now I am experimenting with cheap Chinese LEDs running at 50 % of their maximum watts at exact Vf

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.