The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Loquat tree in my back yard that sheds large semi fuzzy leaves all the time so a while back I took some of the dead leaves and submerged them in trays of water and a little fretilizer to see if I could grow some algae/ diatoms as food for my shrimp. As I seem to have no trouble growing algae in my tanks, I kneww this would succeed!

Here are the trays

A closer view

The ferts for algae culture. These are basically a jug with macros, one with micros and some sodium metasilicate for diatoms. This is enough for 7,800 gallons. A bit more than I need so I will be leaving the bulk of it to my kids in my will...

Here are some pics in the tank:

A closer view. You can see the green layer:

My CRS like it too ( don't tell them they are only "C" grade. It will depress them)

There are a couple "upper crust" shrimp but they don't like the crowds

Speaking of crowded...

A closer view of the shrimp:

I put the leafs in just before lights out and they are picked clean by morning. So far (two months) they haven't contributed to an algae problem but I do change the water in the trays pretty regularly so things don't get out of hand. Best of all, it's free!

Bill

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Laura Lee,

You are right. This started as a way to feed my Sulawesi's but, as that adventure wound down pretty quickly, I had extra capacity!

I agree that this would be great for Oto babies. I have two big females that I would love to have breed. I am keeping an eye on them and if they start, I will put them in a small tank of there own.

Bill

·
Registered
167 Posts
wow...cool...how long do you put the leaves in the tray before they grow algae?

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
pandapr - Do you mean the fertilizer? I really think any micro and macro would do it. I was trying to culture diatoms for my Sulawesi shrimp and bought this aquaculture mix in the smallest size they had - really cheap if you expect to culture 7000 gallons worth.

adrainng1996 - it took about a week to get started and now the recycled leaves are ready in about 3 days. I change the water when it starts to look too green, about every other week. This may change in the summer when the photo period is longer.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Bill,
This is a great idea, looks like you have a thriving crs colony there. You mentioned Sulawesi adventure wound down quickly, do you mean they're all gone? ;(
I used to use magnolia leaves in my crs tank, but after time, they became very messy. Maybe I should try your method and put all the leaves in a cage or something simply fish the leaves out for new leaves.

Kevin

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey Kevin

Yes the colony is pretty robust. I have been really happy with these guys. Your stock is top notch!

There are still about 5 Cardinals left. They have been doing fine but I only see them at night.

Bill

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
My shrimp & oto's don't like oak leaves. They only like the yellow poplar leaves. I leave one or two in a bowl and change the water out every day until the leaf gets real slimy. Usually about a week or so. Then I put it in the substrate by the stem. It's a great way to feed them when you are gone on vacation or a few days. By three or four days, it is stripped clean. Only the skeleton is left. Must have tried a dozen different types of leaves, but this is the only one that they eat.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a Loquat tree in my back yard that sheds large semi fuzzy leaves all the time so a while back I took some of the dead leaves and submerged them in trays of water and a little fretilizer to see if I could grow some algae/ diatoms as food for my shrimp. As I seem to have no trouble growing algae in my tanks, I kneww this would succeed!

Here are the trays

A closer view

The ferts for algae culture. These are basically a jug with macros, one with micros and some sodium metasilicate for diatoms. This is enough for 7,800 gallons. A bit more than I need so I will be leaving the bulk of it to my kids in my will...

Here are some pics in the tank:

A closer view. You can see the green layer:

My CRS like it too ( don't tell them they are only "C" grade. It will depress them)

There are a couple "upper crust" shrimp but they don't like the crowds

Speaking of crowded...

A closer view of the shrimp:

I put the leafs in just before lights out and they are picked clean by morning. So far (two months) they haven't contributed to an algae problem but I do change the water in the trays pretty regularly so things don't get out of hand. Best of all, it's free!

Bill
Are you selling your low grade CRS?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.