The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, probably many many babies.

But omg, I was like "sekdfjkdskfjdsklfjsdf" excited when I saw it!

I was doing something online, and I noticed somthing wriggling in the tank out of the corner of my eye, I was like, oh god what now, right?

I look closer.

Fry!

Aahhh I'm so excited. They'd been doing their little courtship dance for a while and all, but honestly I was just surprised for some reason to see it!

Just thought I'd share the joy of nature :].

They're so neat.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
To be honest I wasn't ready for them, and if the babies live, then awesome. But I have SO MUCH moss in that tank, and a massive African water fern, that I'm sure theres plenty of infusoria for them to feed of off.

I crush my food up for my Galaxies really small, basicly to a powder, and I've always fed flakes and the likes to baby guppies like that as well. This fry is much smaller them a guppy fry obviously, but I figure if they don't eat it [theres always a bit left over from the parents] that it'll at least feed the infusoria.

I only just stretched and banded some pantyhose over the intake for my filter when I saw the fry, though. So I don't know how many there even are in the tank right now.

I did see at least one other hanging out in a lawn of Xmas moss [that I was going to trim today, too. rofl] so I figure there might be a few more :].

I guess It's just time to play the waiting game!

·
Opae Ula Crazed.
1,408 Posts
Good luck, Caff!

As I wrote in another thread, I recently set up a new shrimp only tank. To speed things along I took some java moss, a HOB filter with ceramic rings (without cleaning it) and about 5 gallons of water from that old tank and put it in the new. A couple days later I found a newly hatched fry swimming in the new tank. Now there are at least four. In the 29 gallon there are some zebra danios, a group of fucata rainbows, some threadfin rainbows, some scarlet darios, a couple otos, too many Endlers guppies and a handful of shrimp.

I have no idea what kind of fry these are, (know with 100% certainly that they're not Endlers, of course...), but with a whole lot of luck and a bit of time I guess I'll find out!

Since this tank is new there's little chance that a whole lot of infusoria are available, so I'm feeding them some fry food that I found at the local fish shop.

Wishing both of us good luck! :)

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good luck, Caff!

As I wrote in another thread, I recently set up a new shrimp only tank. To speed things along I took some java moss, a HOB filter with ceramic rings (without cleaning it) and about 5 gallons of water from that old tank and put it in the new. A couple days later I found a newly hatched fry swimming in the new tank. Now there are at least four. In the 29 gallon there are some zebra danios, a group of fucata rainbows, some threadfin rainbows, some scarlet darios, a couple otos, too many Endlers guppies and a handful of shrimp.

I have no idea what kind of fry these are, (know with 100% certainly that they're not Endlers, of course...), but with a whole lot of luck and a bit of time I guess I'll find out!

Since this tank is new there's little chance that a whole lot of infusoria are available, so I'm feeding them some fry food that I found at the local fish shop.

Wishing both of us good luck! :)
Surprise babies ftw :)!

Hope they live, best of luck to the both of us for sure :).

·
Registered
1,494 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
I found that my shrimp tanks make great fry raising tanks. The shrimp are messy eaters and crush food enough to allow fry to eat it. The shrimp seem to ignore fry unless one get weak and die which becomes food.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.