The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here is some pictures of my CPD fry. Sorry for the quality, some pictures have a glare some need levels fixed but since my computer crashed I lost my photoshop and haven't reinstalled it yet.

Here are my babies :)

And this one is one of my baby shrimps :)

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Congratulations. Were they born in this tank, or did you fish them out of your main CPD tank?

Btw, I love the dinosaur skull too. :)
Thanks Frosty :)

I actually bred 2 females and male in a seperate tank, then fished them out, I didn't have a filter to keep them in there for long. I will be moving them soon to the main tank :)

My baby shrimps love the scull :)

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Nice, mine are about ready to start breeding. I've got a crazy male heavy group so I'm going to have to pull the females and fatten them up then combine a few males with the females in a new tank as well.

How old are those fry around 3-5 weeks?

-Andrew

·
Registered
230 Posts
very nice funky! Would you say you got at least 75 frys?
And what method did you used to breed them as im going to start a rack for breeding soon. Got the sponge filters. Just need the RACK and a few more tanks.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice, mine are about ready to start breeding. I've got a crazy male heavy group so I'm going to have to pull the females and fatten them up then combine a few males with the females in a new tank as well.

How old are those fry around 3-5 weeks?

-Andrew
The fry is about 6-7 weeks, I think I discovered them Aug 22... From what I loearned they will lay eggs over period of couple of days so you might end up with different size fry. I also would do couple of females per male. I did 2 female and one male in a 14g and after 2 weeks I found the fry. Good luck to you and I hope to see a journal :icon_smil

very nice funky! Would you say you got at least 75 frys?
And what method did you used to breed them as im going to start a rack for breeding soon. Got the sponge filters. Just need the RACK and a few more tanks.
I wopuld say I got 30+ fry, I probably killed some, I discovered them when I was cleaning out a tank because I though my experiment didn't work out.
What I did is I set up a 14g tank with moss and some plants that I got from triming my 10g, you could say it was moderate to heavily planted, regular flourecent light that comes with the tank kits, no ferts or CO2. Once my levels were safe for fish I transfered 2 females and 1 male into it. I didn't do anything special, fed them regular food and some frozen blood worms and brine shrimp once or twice a week, I shaved the frozen blood worms so it would be small enough for them. Did some small water changes and just left them be. They were more skittish after the transfer, I think it's because they were seperated from the group, from my observations they feel more comfortable in groups of 6 or more so that's why I didn't bother them much. After 2 weeks I thought my experiment didn't work so I took out the parents and started cleaning out the tank when I noticed some wiggly thing which ended up being one of the fry :icon_eek: so I just dumped a bucket of water I took out back and within 2-4 days I got the fry you see, kept them for a while in the 14g without filter and with plants that I riped out floating at the top, then I transfered them to the small tank with sponge filter so I can see them better. I think that's pretty much covers it. Good luck to you and if you have any more questions feel free to ask :)

·
Registered
801 Posts
Congrats! So you ran no filtration prior to noticing that you had fry? I'm wondering if this method will work for Sawbwa Resplendens and Microrasbora Erythromicron as well...

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you guys :D

Well, congratulations:), as far as I know, it's not that easy to breed them. I was trying to find some info about how to breed rummynose tetras and blue tetras without any luck. Maybe I'll copy your method:)

From what I heard and learned after hours on internet CPD are pretty easy to breed and tetras are not so much. Definitely give my method a try, it seriously didn't take much of my time. I just tried to copy their natural habitat, small lake with lots of plants and small water changes every couple of days or when I remember. There is quiet a few methods to breed these guys so I just went with what I felt would be best. Good luck to you and I hope to see some pictures of fry soon :icon_smil I love baby fish :hihi:

Congrats! So you ran no filtration prior to noticing that you had fry? I'm wondering if this method will work for Sawbwa Resplendens and Microrasbora Erythromicron as well...
I did run a filter prior to noticing fry, I had a HOB filter wich was for a 10g tank, the breeding tank was 14g. I am sure no filter would work you just need to do small daily water changes. I also read that since CPD comes from small lakes with streams and heavy vegetation, water changes help to target breeding, I read that some people actually turn off heaters during the night to copy the natural habitat because lakes get colder at night by couple degrees, but I guess it could be done with water change just before the light is turned off. If Sawbwa Resplendens and Microrasbora Erythromicron habitat is the same or very close to CPD it should definitely work :)

·
I ♥ BBA!
12,768 Posts
They are looking fantastic! I am not as lucky. I only have four left of my fry. I am jealous. I am following your method next time. :)

·
Registered
4,286 Posts
wow! that's wonderful! It's so great to see that folks are successfully breeding CPDs so we can hopefully stop depleting the wild supply! :biggrin:

What a great success! Once I move I want to set up a separate tank for my CPDs so I see them more often, I may want to add a few more too, so if you plan to sell them, I'd certainly be interested! :)

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
They are looking fantastic! I am not as lucky. I only have four left of my fry. I am jealous. I am following your method next time. :)
Thanks :) And I'm sorry to hear about your fry, but at least some of them survived it's better than nothing. Just try again and I am always willing to help :D

wow! that's wonderful! It's so great to see that folks are successfully breeding CPDs so we can hopefully stop depleting the wild supply! :biggrin:

What a great success! Once I move I want to set up a separate tank for my CPDs so I see them more often, I may want to add a few more too, so if you plan to sell them, I'd certainly be interested! :)
Thanks Krackle!
Thats what I hope will happen, but from what I hear they can not take them from the wild anymore that's why they still expensive. In England they sugest that CPD should be bought only by people who are willing to breed them.
I am thinking of selling some, I think all of these+ (lets hope everything keeps going well and I won't loose any) their parents will be a bit much for my 10g. I never shipped any fish before so I need to figure out how to do it, I really love these little guys and will hate myself if something goes wrong with them :icon_conf It's still couple of months away I will not sell them untill they color up which is around week 12 and they now around 5-7 weeks.

I also hope I can find someone in Illinois who will be willing to trade some with me I want to keep their gene pool fresh.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Congrats! Did you have to feed the fry at all during their early stage? BBS/microworms? Or did you just let them eat infusoria?
I actually was worried about them starving so I did started feeding them almost right away. My infusoria wasn't successful, but the tank was very mature so they had to have somethng there for them to eat for the first day, I then just crushed some different foods I got from Visionquest and the ones I had at home. My fry food mix was:
NLF small fish formula
Tetra min flackes
Arctic copepods
No carb micro pelet
Veg Flake
100% daphnia flake

I crushed it very well which took a while, and on feeding times I would fill a little plastic measuring cup with tank water, put some food in, let it stand for a bit then I fill a measuring suringe with the mix and target feed them. I also bought some fry food from LFS. After couple of weeks I started adding decaped brine shrimp eggs to their diet, wich they love.

I wanna get some live food but since I am unsuccesful with breeding infusoria and such I need to find a LFS that sells them, I think LFS beside my sisters office has some whit\e worms and such that they grow and sell.

·
ShrimpRetirement
8,313 Posts
I actually was worried about them starving so I did started feeding them almost right away. My infusoria wasn't successful, but the tank was very mature so they had to have somethng there for them to eat for the first day, I then just crushed some different foods I got from Visionquest and the ones I had at home. My fry food mix was:
NLF small fish formula
Tetra min flackes
Arctic copepods
No carb micro pelet
Veg Flake
100% daphnia flake

I crushed it very well which took a while, and on feeding times I would fill a little plastic measuring cup with tank water, put some food in, let it stand for a bit then I fill a measuring suringe with the mix and target feed them. I also bought some fry food from LFS. After couple of weeks I started adding decaped brine shrimp eggs to their diet, wich they love.

I wanna get some live food but since I am unsuccesful with breeding infusoria and such I need to find a LFS that sells them, I think LFS beside my sisters office has some whit\e worms and such that they grow and sell.
That's a nice little grocery list you got for those babies lol. And you thought breeding betta's was hard?

Where did you buy decapsulated BBS eggs? I've heard about them but I've always used newly hatched BBS. I've just recently tried microworms and they can get pretty messy but are so tiny that you've got food right from the get go for your babies. Lemme know if you need a culture nextime you wanna try some.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That's a nice little grocery list you got for those babies lol. And you thought breeding betta's was hard?

Where did you buy decapsulated BBS eggs? I've heard about them but I've always used newly hatched BBS. I've just recently tried microworms and they can get pretty messy but are so tiny that you've got food right from the get go for your babies. Lemme know if you need a culture nextime you wanna try some.
:hihi: I want my babies to have only the best LOL

Decapsulated BBS eggs I got from VisionQuest http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/swap-n-shop/91494-samples-bulk-feeds-new-foods-added.html
Most of the food on that list are from her, you won't be sorry if you order some, she got some nice selection.

I will definitely let you know about culture if I can't find any, thanks :D

·
I ♥ BBA!
12,768 Posts
LOOK, funkyfish!!!! I tried your method of putting a few females to one male in a separate tank and removed them a few days ago. I am counting 7 so far, it appears they laid in batches as well. Some are still on the glass while others are free swimming! Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
OMG YAY I'm so excited for you :D LOL
And you are very welcome, I'm just so excited it worked for you :)

You got very nice pictures of them I couldn't get a decent picture of them no matter what I tried, but they looked excactly like that. I wonder how much you have in total :D

1 - 20 of 100 Posts