The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drop in sinking pellets but my shrimp take them and swim away with them haha.

I tried algae wafers which work somewhat, but between 4 corys and a albino bristlenose pleco, inca snail and shrimp I usually can't drop in more than 2 or it will not be eaten.

I tried blanched cucumber but no one in my tank eats it. Is there a trick or strategy to try to get my Corys and Pleco to eat vegetables?

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
Corys are not algae/vegetable eaters. They forage through the sand for little animals like worms. They should eat a more carnivorous sinking pellet. Try Omega One Shrimp Pellets.

BN Plecs sure ought to eat vegetables of all sorts, algae wafers and other plant based foods. If they are getting enough algae they might not eat the other foods.

A fish is a lot like a dog or cat, or even a child: If they have not been exposed to a particular food they might not recognize it as food. Shrimp are often scavengers. It is their job to notice new things, and see if they are edible. So the shrimp run off with the best foods before the fish are aware there is food in the tank.

To make a fish food more attractive to the fish you can flavor it with garlic. Crush a clove of garlic and soak the fish food in it. This can be done with dry or wet (frozen/defrosted) foods. When I have done this, some fish even eat the garlic, as well as the fish food. If there is a particular food the fish do go for, then take some bits of this food and embed them in something else you want the fish to eat. For example, push some pellets into a slice of cucumber.

Do the fish have plump bellies? Or are they getting skinny?
Look at the bottom line of the fish, when the fish is sideways to you. Is this line concave (sunken in)? Fish has a problem. Losing the race for food is possible, but internal parasites or other problem can also contribute to a fish not eating.
Is the belly it level or slightly bulging out? This is good.
Look at the fish from the top (Yes, this can be hard to do). Both Cories and BN Plecs should look fairly plump from this direction.

End result:
a) If the fish are sick (parasites, other) remove them from the tank for treatment. Most fish meds are not safe for shrimp.
b) If the fish are simply losing out all the time to the shrimp you might not be able to keep this particular combination in this tank.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I drop in sinking pellets but my shrimp take them and swim away with them haha.

I tried algae wafers which work somewhat, but between 4 corys and a albino bristlenose pleco, inca snail and shrimp I usually can't drop in more than 2 or it will not be eaten.

I tried blanched cucumber but no one in my tank eats it. Is there a trick or strategy to try to get my Corys and Pleco to eat vegetables?

Try hikari sinking wafers. I drop them for my corys. They love them but so do the snails, the pleco and even the otos.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.