The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
so ive had a mini-m i purchased a while ago that has been sitting in my basement and since i had some free time today i decided to set it up.. so after thinking about what type of setup i wanted to start with all the extra materials i have gathered throughout the years i decided to go with a emersed set up... nothing fancy just some grass that has just started taken a foot hold in my main tank and some mosses... the grass wasnt growing fast enough in my main tank so i decided to put it emersed so that i can eventunally transplant back to main tank...

this is my first journal posting i believe and one that im gonna try to stick to... any critiquing is welcome :)

Tank:
ADA Mini-m (the person who i bought this from told me its the older version not the new one)

Substrate:
used ada aqua soil (it feels like dirt to me)
MTS
Flourite black

Flora:
Elocharis 'Japan'
Flame moss
Mystery moss (This one is thanks to Jorran... he had a little that he gave to me and has been growing slowly but i had enough for a few small peices to place on rocks)

and now the pics

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I only have tanks sitting around because of lack of light, filter, sub to fill them. lol.

hehe i have a light and filter for it... but i always have algae issues starting up... so decided to skip that step and do emersed :)

gonna use sunlight for this one though as theres plenty of light that comes into the room and the ambient temp is 68 - 78 degrees f :)

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hehe i did it once cuz i bought some elocharis belem from someone for a very good price but it had cyno bacteria... so i did it emersed for like a week... then i gave up and filled :p... this time around i may just leave it emersed for a year or something till it like is overgrown :p

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
actually question... if anyone can help me... when doing emmersed do i have to monitor the photoperiod like i do with my tanks or can i just leave the light on for like 15 hours a day and not worry about it?
I have had my emersed setup going for 6 months and I have never worried about it getting to much light. As long as it gets more the 8 its fine. I usually run my lights from 7 in the morning to 9 at night.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
some updates and some pics of other tanks as part of my collectoris:

first my 30g long:
flora:
not sure what plants are in there besides aromatica and fissdens
Also if u wanna count i have bba in there and what i think is green spot algae :p

Fish:
Boraras uropthalmoides
Nerite
Ottos
cory habrosus
baby cpos

now my 55 i got at a petco 1 dollar a gallon sale:
Flora:
Ludwiga Red
D.Diandra
Rotala Wallichi
Elocharis 'japan'
Flame Moss
Downoi
(some brown algae i think its diatoms and gsa)
Fish:
Cardinal Tetras
Amano Shrimps
Cpd
CPO
Nerites
Ottos
rummy noses
Sakura Shrimps

my 5 gallon rimless grown as a riparium:
Flora:
Above water:
bacopa carolinas
And another stem plant i got from hydrophyte
Below water:
java fern (windelov and needle leaf and regular)
Flame moss
anubias peteite
Mysterious moss i got from morph that came with a order

Fish:
sunset platy
neon tetra
Pumpkin Shrimp

now updates on my Mini - M
so i couldnt keep the moss from drying on the rocks so imma just grow in little caps with water in them till i get a good amount...
added in
downoi and ludwiga red
gonna get some crypt parava and spread around also

1 - 9 of 9 Posts