The Planted Tank Forum banner

My Chihiros “Customize” mode

1006 6
Has any mine tried this “Customize” mode on any Chihiros light? I have been searching through the entire internet but haven’t seen anyone posted some thorough instructions on how to correctly setup this one (shame on Chihiros software team).

I’m trying to setup multiple time zones (with different rgb profile) like I used to do with the Finnex lights. I know on Chihiros I could mimic similar function with the “Auto” mode to setup multiple sun rise to down cycles, however that mode does not transits from one lighting scheme to another without completely shuts down (then move on to the next sun rise to down section).
Font Screenshot Technology Multimedia Software

With the Customize mode, the did perform as what I intended for a day then it never turned back on the 3rd day (it finished it first two days cycle until I made some “twicking”). I’m very confused with the app at the moment, I’m not sure what could be done vs what shouldn’t, I’m really hoping Chihiros would post any official instructions on this. If anyone had any success on this please share any experience you have! Much appreciated!

Font Gadget Screenshot Technology Multimedia

Another weird thing I experienced with this Customize mode is that the controller does not refresh the lighting profile to what it is programmed to be for its current time. It will only update/refresh to the correct rgb setting if I connect it to my phone through Bluetooth.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Yeah I got some Chihiros WRGB2 Pro lights recently and, likewise, wasn't able to find much on-line doco re. the My Chihiros app....I found one YouTube video but the version of the app in the video didn't seem to match mine....so I pretty much just mucked around in the app myself and figured things out...this works for my Pro model and I assume it'll work for your Slim

I think I started on the Manual tab where you can choose from some presets like Red, Green, Buce, etc. I liked the Shrimp presets but wanted to tweak the #s and add some ramp up/down times to the schedule...so I headed to the Customize tab

The table at the top of the Customize tab is time vs. RGBW settings...in attempting to move the time slider I discovered that you can open a time dialog (my term as I don't know what else to call it) with a pinching motion...from anywhere on the table pinch your thumb and index finger together to open the dialog

Rectangle Font Screenshot Slope Parallel

Next, enter the time of day you want to set a custom point, click Done, and then set the RGBW values...here's mine for 2.30pm

Colorfulness Slope Rectangle Line Font

Repeat for as many custom points as you'd like...use the Preview button to make sure your custom presets and schedule is to your liking

Once done I highly recommend you save it by clicking Save As....that way you can recall it if it somehow gets lost

·
Registered
Fluval Spec Modified Fresh Water Plantted
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I got some Chihiros WRGB2 Pro lights recently and, likewise, wasn't able to find much on-line doco re. the My Chihiros app....I found one YouTube video but the version of the app in the video didn't seem to match mine....so I pretty much just mucked around in the app myself and figured things out...this works for my Pro model and I assume it'll work for your Slim

I think I started on the Manual tab where you can choose from some presets like Red, Green, Buce, etc. I liked the Shrimp presets but wanted to tweak the #s and add some ramp up/down times to the schedule...so I headed to the Customize tab

The table at the top of the Customize tab is time vs. RGBW settings...in attempting to move the time slider I discovered that you can open a time dialog (my term as I don't know what else to call it) with a pinching motion...from anywhere on the table pinch your thumb and index finger together to open the dialog

View attachment 1046128

Next, enter the time of day you want to set a custom point, click Done, and then set the RGBW values...here's mine for 2.30pm

View attachment 1046129

Repeat for as many custom points as you'd like...use the Preview button to make sure your custom presets and schedule is to your liking

Once done I highly recommend you save it by clicking Save As....that way you can recall it if it somehow gets lost

View attachment 1046128

View attachment 1046129

Hey really appreciate for writing up the instructions for the community (and for Chihiros, they owe you this one). I noticed that you are using Android system, maybe it’s my iOS version is buggy. it worked for me for a couple days until I tricked the rgb setting for a specific time point, the Light just stopped refreshing based on (or lost track from) the schedule I programmed. But I will try exactly the same sequence as what you have done and see how it perform : program the schedule, then preview, then save as, then leave the app, then turn off Bluetooth of my phone to disconnect.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Yes, I'm on an Android phone (Samsung Galaxy S20)...I'd expect both the iOs and Android flavors of the app to at least function the same way but, yeah, there could be a bug in one and not the other

I only dowloaded the app 4-5 weeks ago so perhaps the latest versions are more stable

Good luck

·
Registered
158 Posts
The app used to be more intuitive with the Customise and Auto working like one thing, then they "updated" it with the (IMO inferior) Auto mode as a seperate thing, and it's harder to use. I set my schedule similar to rzn7z7, just set time points. If you add too many, it can get janky, better to just start over. I found it helped me to draw out what I wanted my schedule to look like first, then set points whenever the graph changed.
Font Gadget Communication Device Screenshot Electronic device

So for this 8 hour schedule with a siesta, I set a 0/0/0 (Red/Green/Blue) point at 9:30am, a 50/40/50 point at 10:00am. This handles my ramp up in the morning.
A 50/40/50 at 12:29pm, a 0/0/0 at 12:35pm, a 0/0/0 at 1:29pm, a 50/40/50 at 1:35pm. These 4 points make that down and up for the siesta with 6-min ramps.
Then a 50/40/50 at 5:30pm, and a 0/0/0 at 6:30pm. This is my ramp down in the evening.

One thing that I wish they made more obvious is that if you touch the app and background the app while messing with Manual mode to turn on the light while doing some maintenance or feed your fish late, it will screw up your schedule. You need to make sure that every time you leave the app, it's left on Customise mode. I've gotten pretty good at being careful about that and my schedule has been rock solid for months. I'm on iOS as well. Actually had an issue with the app around the time you first posted but the Sept 1st update fixed it for me.

·
Registered
Fluval Spec Modified Fresh Water Plantted
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The app used to be more intuitive with the Customise and Auto working like one thing, then they "updated" it with the (IMO inferior) Auto mode as a seperate thing, and it's harder to use. I set my schedule similar to rzn7z7, just set time points. If you add too many, it can get janky, better to just start over. I found it helped me to draw out what I wanted my schedule to look like first, then set points whenever the graph changed.
View attachment 1046825
So for this 8 hour schedule with a siesta, I set a 0/0/0 (Red/Green/Blue) point at 9:30am, a 50/40/50 point at 10:00am. This handles my ramp up in the morning.
A 50/40/50 at 12:29pm, a 0/0/0 at 12:35pm, a 0/0/0 at 1:29pm, a 50/40/50 at 1:35pm. These 4 points make that down and up for the siesta with 6-min ramps.
Then a 50/40/50 at 5:30pm, and a 0/0/0 at 6:30pm. This is my ramp down in the evening.

One thing that I wish they made more obvious is that if you touch the app and background the app while messing with Manual mode to turn on the light while doing some maintenance or feed your fish late, it will screw up your schedule. You need to make sure that every time you leave the app, it's left on Customise mode. I've gotten pretty good at being careful about that and my schedule has been rock solid for months. I'm on iOS as well. Actually had an issue with the app around the time you first posted but the Sept 1st update fixed it for me.
Hey thanks a lot for sharing, yes the September update (software and firmware on controller) fixed the bugs that I described above.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts