The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had some glass around the house and wanted to try this. Here's what I came up with. It works well, but I'm dealing with the water in the bottomless part getting a bit stagnate. I'm working on some ideas of how to solve this. I'm going to try and glue some airline in the corner to the top and connect it to a small powerhead. It works, but the powerhead is WAY too powerful. I'm still working on it. It holds about 2 gallons. I had neons and a betta in there for a while, but I've since moved them and drained it until I get all the details worked out.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
I don't see how you can keep the water in the center tank well oxygenated. It has no access to atmospheric oxygen, no way to get it from the surrounding water, and any attempt to supply it will drop the water back into the lower tank, possibly overflowing it. What is your objective with this?

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
I don't understand what's going on here.

I imagine some O2 would get in through diffusion, but I still don't get the point.

"A" for originality though. I have definitely never seen this before. Just because i don't see the point doesn't mean you can't enjoy it.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I've considered doing something similar a few times, but I have kids and they are destruction-y.

If I'm not mistaken the bottom portion of the front glass of the inner part doesn't extend to the bottom of the tank, is that right?

If that's the case, you're going to need a powerhead of some sort to mix the water. You could try using the pump from one of those desktop fountains that you can buy at Target/Walmart. The flow rate on those is small enough that it shouldn't cause any issues, and it ought to come with tubing that connects the pump to the fountain fixture. You could also try something like an Aquaclear 10 turned down to its lowest setting. I use that in a 3 gallon jar without any issues.

·
Registered
575 Posts

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
If you can keep oxygen in the raised water portion it should work ok. I would make sure the bottom tank has enough extra room to hold all of the total water in the two tanks. But, I don't see how you can get oxygen to the high tank.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Wouldn't circulating the water with a powerhead/pump/circulator work to keep it oxygenated? It seems to me that as long as the water in the upper part continously mixes with the water in the lower part, they would stay similarly oxygenated, or am I missing something?

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Wouldn't circulating the water with a powerhead/pump/circulator work to keep it oxygenated? It seems to me that as long as the water in the upper part continously mixes with the water in the lower part, they would stay similarly oxygenated, or am I missing something?
I think the OP tried this but didn't have a small enough powerhead to do the job without creating a vortex of doom inside the raised part.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Check on youtube, there are a few people in Malaysia or Indonesia with these types of tanks. I would think that a TINY powerhead or a really small pond pump at the base of the center tank should be able to move sufficient water around. Water goes up and moves down the side of the inside tank, flows out and mixes with the outer tank water.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
All you need is an Aqualifter pump to circulate water from the lower tank to the upper tank. I don't THINK this will break the vacuum you're using as long as both intake/outlet of the aqualifter pump remain under water, so air can't backwash up into the "upper" tank.

Uses normal airline tubing but pumps water at a fairly slow rate.

http://www.google.com/products/cata...=8QBITt_XFYXb0QHa1pngBw&sqi=2&ved=0CD8Q8wIwAQ

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Now i'm curious.. What is this Doomlike Vortex you speak of?
100 gph powerhead in a 2 gallon tank, swirling high velocity water that most tank fish can't handle and even fish that like high flow have trouble with because of the swirliness of it all. That sort of thing.

The name popped into my head when I put an 80 gph powerhead in a round 3 gallon container pointing sideways and turned up all the way. The whole thing turned into a vortex, dimpled center and all. It was pretty epic, but the shrimp didn't care for it. At least that's how I interpreted their decapodal screams as they whizzed by. It worked beautifully turned to its lowest setting and pointing along a diameter of the tank.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
All you need is an Aqualifter pump to circulate water from the lower tank to the upper tank. I don't THINK this will break the vacuum you're using as long as both intake/outlet of the aqualifter pump remain under water, so air can't backwash up into the "upper" tank.

Uses normal airline tubing but pumps water at a fairly slow rate.

http://www.google.com/products/cata...=8QBITt_XFYXb0QHa1pngBw&sqi=2&ved=0CD8Q8wIwAQ
I was thinking of something much like this. If you put the inlet at the very top of the inner portion and the outlet outside, it should also be able to purge the inevitable bubbles that will form in this thing, as long as they aren't too large. I'd install a check valve with a very low cracking pressure on the inlet as well, but that's just me.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, I did some experimenting this weekend and I think a small powerhead should work. You know how powerheads can have a hose that pulls air into the tank? Well, that hose pulls enough air to fill and keep the vacuum in the upper tank.

There's really no "point" to this. I was just bored and wanted to see if I could do it. :)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.