The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An accidental spawning. I took a female Betta out of a sorority tank because she was being picked on by the other girls, and put her in with my most docile male temporarily, until I could find a better arrangement for her. Well, I guess that was all she needed, because they began to spawn within an hour. He didn't even have a bubble nest built, but got one going fast as they went at it. They have both been picking up eggs, and putting them in the nest as he builds it. Incredible. Here is some bad video of the unintentional spawning. I did nothing to prepare for this happening, They are behind the leaves, but come out so you can see them at work.
I don't know nuthin' 'bout birthin' no Bettas! But I guess I'll learn. (Excerpt from 'Gone With The Wind' of course.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EcCAs17AX8

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
Accidental congratulations?
Make sure to remove the female (at least cup her) after spawn, male will get defensive of the bubble nest when they're gone getting eggs up in it. Some males have been reported to kill females defending the nest after they're done.
Are you a member on the bettafish specific forum? if not may want to go read/join if you plan to grow out the fry.
I've not done it yet but read plenty on the bettafish specific forum, as other members post about their breeding/fry rearing. You'll need baby brine shrimp (can try frozen or have 'fun' with a hatchery) and some other small worm culture as they grow.. micro worms/vinegar eels. Gonna need a grow out tank size vary depending on # of fry, and lots of cups for 'jarring' the male fry as they start getting mean (I think around 2-3 months of age depending on how fast they grow). Frequent water changes in fry grow out tank (daily to once every 3 days)-they release growth stunting hormones to try to slow down siblings growth but ti effects all the fry. Also fry like warmer water 80-82f.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
accidental congratulations?
Make sure to remove the female (at least cup her) after spawn, male will get defensive of the bubble nest when they're gone getting eggs up in it. Some males have been reported to kill females defending the nest after they're done.
I'm keeping a close watch now. I guess I'll know it's over when he starts chasing her, yes?

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
I'm keeping a close watch now. I guess I'll know it's over when he starts chasing her, yes?
Yep, or when they just are not wrapping (mating) or picking up eggs. Sounds like for first timers they got the instinct which is good, some just can't quite get it right.

Bump: Oh side note: do not put the female that mated back into the sorority immediately. Spawning takes a lot out of them, she could get beat up if plopped directly in with the other gals. Floating a lidded cup in the sorority or over the male's tank would be best if you don't have a empty tank for her to rest in.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Yep, or when they just are not wrapping (mating) or picking up eggs. Sounds like for first timers they got the instinct which is good, some just can't quite get it right.

Bump: Oh side note: do not put the female that mated back into the sorority immediately. Spawning takes a lot out of them, she could get beat up if plopped directly in with the other gals. Floating a lidded cup in the sorority or over the male's tank would be best if you don't have a empty tank for her to rest in.
Got it! I've got a huge glass bowl (like an alcoholics wine glass) that floats nicely in the tanks, which I was washing and getting ready for her anyway, until....

Well I went ahead and pulled her out, even though they may have gone on for more. I'm already pressed for tanks (6 currently in use), and probably don't need to make more fish. The next thing you know they'll be on welfare, sucking up our taxes, begging for money and asking to borrow my car. I won't have it. I suppose I'll be fair with those that do hatch, and put them in a container of some sort for growing out, and give them away. Those 60 gallon plastic containers at walmart are about 20 bucks or less I think. It will be fun and a learning experience. Although I used to breed honey gouramis years and years ago. I made some money back then. These days there are no more Mom & Pop shops that will take home grown fish and pay you for them like they used to. Free enterprise has been done away with. Now it's corporate, or hit the road.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I'm probably going to be the first and only person to say this, but wow was that irresponsible. :/

I do wish any potential fry the best. And, uh, good luck?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Of course it happens accidentally. LOL. Last time I tried it my male died on the second day... Good luck. Microworms are awesome until the fry are big enough for brine shrimp.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm probably going to be the first and only person to say this, but wow was that irresponsible. :/

You're just an unhappy little mind aren't you? Maybe it's something in your water? Everything I see you write is nasty. I'll be sure to ignore you from now on.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
You're just an unhappy little mind aren't you? Maybe it's something in your water? Everything I see you write is nasty. I'll be sure to ignore you from now on.
Lol

Best of luck i always wanted to breed bettas but never had the room.

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts

I wrote an erased several responses here. I think I'll follow AWolf's lead and take a little higher road then where I started.

No, it's not irresponsible. Irresponsible is not taking care of them properly. He's putting time, effort, money and research into how to care for them properly and keep them healthy. Sounds like the antithesis of irresponsible.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Raising beta fry is hard work. I simply don't want to work that hard to end up with a bunch of unsellable fish.
Better start your live food cultures now. If you can find some water from a green swimming pool or pond, it will buy you a few days.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My last spawn of splendens was over 100 so middle sized. Lots of folk use liquifry to start small fry feeding if they don't have live food. Bbs gives fastest growth rates and big strong fry.
Be prepared that fry can need separated as early as 6 weeks old depending on how aggressive they are. One from my last lot

Can it be called accidental when you've put an adult male and female together lol?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
168 Posts

I wrote an erased several responses here. I think I'll follow AWolf's lead and take a little higher road then where I started.

No, it's not irresponsible. Irresponsible is not taking care of them properly. He's putting time, effort, money and research into how to care for them properly and keep them healthy. Sounds like the antithesis of irresponsible.
I think you're confusing "irresponsible" with "neglectful" - and I know Awolf isn't neglectful of their fish and in no way did I say that. But even the most responsible people can do irresponsible things.
Not having a way to seperate a female from the other females other than placing her in a tank with a male betta is irresponsible. There could have been injuries or deaths, there could now be fry to be raised (if wanted).
I wasn't even going to respond but you sounded confused so I thought I should clarify. This is my last response on this topic.

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
Raising beta fry is hard work. I simply don't want to work that hard to end up with a bunch of unsellable fish.
Better start your live food cultures now. If you can find some water from a green swimming pool or pond, it will buy you a few days.
Bolded area-pretty much why I won't breed them either.. also trying to heat jarred juvies to keep them from stunting..

My last spawn of splendens was over 100 so middle sized. Lots of folk use liquifry to start small fry feeding if they don't have live food. Bbs gives fastest growth rates and big strong fry.
Be prepared that fry can need separated as early as 6 weeks old depending on how aggressive they are. One from my last lot

Can it be called accidental when you've put an adult male and female together lol?

like his colors.. interesting. But not a fan of that topline (head form).

·
Registered
325 Posts
Fry are always exciting. I still get excited when my molly gives birth even after 7-8 broods now.

A Wolf has betta fry, not baby shamus.
Just wanted to remind myself after reading the comments.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Fry are always exciting. I still get excited when my molly gives birth even after 7-8 broods now.

A Wolf has betta fry, not baby shamus.
Just wanted to remind myself after reading the comments.
LOLOL! So right! I'm probably not going to see a large batch. He didn't have a bubble nest, this was their first time, and she probably ate most of the eggs anyway. But I am curious now, so I want to see what hatches. I wonder if it will be a box of 'chocolates', different colors, different fins; she is crown tail, he is split tail halfmoon.. oh the possibilities. So much more fun than all the same.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
I think you care more than enough to pull it off. A few half jacky bottles standing in a kitty litter tray with an aquarium heater is your temperature sorted.... but they can really have big drops.
Add some methylene blue or colloidal silver to the water to help protect the eggs, if you have them out of the tank.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Yea, I've bought some BBS I'll start hatching tonight. The tank should have plenty infusoria, but the brine shrimp will be ready by the time they really need it....if ....there are any fry. We'll see!

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

I really thought, from what I read, that it took conditioning, days, maybe weeks, of prepping the fish for getting together. So I was surprised to see it happen in an hour. That's why I'm still not sure if there will be any fry. He built the nest under a leaf.around a load of floating plants, etc., so it's hard to see the nest at all, but the leaf is pushed up a little. Not a large nest at all.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts