The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 127 Posts

·
ShrimpRetirement
8,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It's been almost a month now and finally I coaxed my Bettas into doing the nasty :hihi:. They didn't like each other at all in the beginning, but after a careful force marriage, they conceived for me. Here are some pics... I'll keep posted on the status of the spawn in this thread if anyone is interested. Thanks for looking.

Daddy's always trying to look good for the ladies.

Daddy & mommy chasing after an egg

I think overall she dropped around [STRIKE]80 eggs[/STRIKE]! **edit** I lied, theres over 200 babies :hihi: Stay tuned!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Nice, did you put anything for male to build his nest under? (Styrofoam cup cut out or Katapang leaf). Beautiful halfmoon !

·
ShrimpRetirement
8,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice, did you put anything for male to build his nest under? (Styrofoam cup cut out or Katapang leaf). Beautiful halfmoon !
I tried styrofoam but he wouldn't build under it at all. I did not have any leaves as well but he's a good nest builder so no worries. He's been moving the eggs daily into different areas.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
microworms and vinegar eels are really easy to raise. I hear vinegar eels are even easier. I might have to try them one day.

check the SnS.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Spawning bettas is such a great show :)

I never attempted to raise the fry but just looking at the courtship ritual and the change in temperament once the male is ready is just amazing.

·
ShrimpRetirement
8,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They've been hunting infusoria for the past 2 days but today I fed them some newly hatched BBS (baby brine shrimp). The stronger ones stuffed their stomachs full of BBS lol. There must be over 200 babies in there now that I see them clearly.

·
Registered
187 Posts
very nice! I just try my luck with my male again. he ate 90% of the eggs and is currently raising the remaining 20-30 lol

·
ShrimpRetirement
8,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
very nice! I just try my luck with my male again. he ate 90% of the eggs and is currently raising the remaining 20-30 lol
Lnd,

It'd be in your best interest to get a new male. Trust me... once a cannibal, always a cannibal.

·
ShrimpRetirement
8,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah. Bettas are notorious for not being good parents. From my experience, 1 out of 5 males will become a good breeder who won't beat up the bride too badly, won't eat the eggs/fry, and will tend to the eggs properly (fanning, moving, nest maintenance).

·
ShrimpRetirement
8,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well this one idk, he moved like 40 eggs from his nest and started another nest, and ate the rest. Weird
Just keep an eye on him. Once the babies hatch, he may be tempted to eat them all.

Did you feed him well before the spawning process? I like to fatten the couple up as they are courting each other. This way, they're full to start out with and helps guarantee more uneaten eggs/fry. Because once they've spawned, you can not feed them until you take them out. For the male, this is roughly 4 days without food. If you try to feed them during the time they are watching the eggs, it'll light up that hunger fuse and it's pretty much game over for that spawn. However if you have a really dedicated male, he will just ignore any food offered to him durring this time.

Good luck with your spawn! Just keep at it. :hihi:

·
ShrimpRetirement
8,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So neat. Love seeing all those babies. Hope you have a good survival rate! :D
I'm sure I will. *fingers crossed* I just gotta keep the BBS hatchery on overdrive. :hihi: These little guys are surprisingly strong compared to some other batches I've raised in the past. When they hatched they hardly fell from the bubble nest. Usually it'd be a rainstorm for daddy. Not these guys.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
What are you going to do with all the babies?

I've done the 'let the dad raise the fry method' until the babies are full grown. I hear that makes the males better parents.

1 - 20 of 127 Posts