The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are a few pics of my TT x Red Tiger cross shrimps. I have named them BENGAL TIGER shrimp :icon_cool

They are the closest in color and markings I have seen to the actual Bengal Tiger so that's what I have named them.

These are now generation F2s and I am noticing the same Orange coloration and black/white stripes and spots even in the babies.

They grow and breed very fast! I started with only 10 and now have 25 and a berried female again.:icon_roll

Hope you like them :icon_smil

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Im not a great photographer like Liam, this is just what I could grab with my camera, sorry if the pics are not that clear.

Im sure in the next few generations I will see some more things coming thru, like wider stripes, darker stripes, deeper colors etc.

Keep in mind the CRS x TT would probably show a much wider banding due to the CRS having defined wide bands already.

These are TT x Red Tiger (tiger shrimps having thinner bands) so for me I am pleased with the quality already showing in these shrimps.

·
Premium Member
7,997 Posts
Thing is, that coloration won't stay in f2, they will be different. The picture Iposted above is f1, this below is the same shrimp but f2 ggeneration:

See, totally different, and there was other phenotypes as well.

You won't see genetic expression until there's a few generations down the road

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
are u telling me that your orange tiger one went to that white crystal type one in one generation?

Maybe I will just keep on breeding these then :thumbsup: I would love to have some more of those Crystal white ones.

·
Premium Member
7,997 Posts
Yes, that's what I'm saying. Most shrimp pattern and color genes are recessive, meaning both parents need them in order for offspring to express them. So in order for that to happen, you have to breed f1 generations together.

You won't have Bengal in f2, it'll be red tiger or tt dominated, not shared like f1.

You should keep these shrimp anyway because there's no guarantee they'refertile or free of defect either since they are a true cross breed (iinterspecies breeding)

·
Premium Member
7,997 Posts
F1 x F1, they weren't all clear like that, some looked like orange CRS, some looked like regular CRS, some looked like normal tts, a lot just died because of the mixture of genes didn't mash up just right...

There's a lot of variability and in genetics 1 + 1 doesn't always equal 2.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.