The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new 35 gallon semi bowfront mineralized topsoil tank has been up since friday; here is the result: (the reflection is my ten gallon tank)

WHERE DID I GO WRONG!!

I followed the directions on how to mineralize soil from A.P.C, then I mineralized it, and all the other stuff.

But then...

When I put it in the tank, (this is before capping it with sand)

I got a bucketfull of sand and spread it around on top. But, I couldn't cover the whole surface. Oh well... So I planted 30 or so stems of Limnophila sessiliflora (all from my ten gallon) and returned a few fishes to the tank.

I have done 2 complete drains and refills, and it is still very cloudy. I filled it quite carefully. Should I drain it one more time, and then add sand on top again? My bristlenose pleco (when I see him) makes clouds when he swims. This is bad.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, I turned it on ever so lightly and it poured onto a dinner plate. The python was touching the plate for the first maybe third of the filling. Then, it was floating a bit above.

It took a long time to fill. I can't give an exact time, but it was coming out slow. I did see some clouds forming near the plate as it filled, but nothing major. The clouds were ever present. It is one big colloid.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
My tank looked like that when I used a bad batch of ADA AS in the mud mixture...

But my revised setup (w/ no ADA) is crystal clear.

+1 more for I think you need to cap it better. I've got at least a 1" deep cap (it's 2-3" deep in the back of the tank), and though I occasionally get a little "puff" when I move a plant around, the water column settles out really quickly.

I'd drain as much water as you can out, and then add the cap, and then carefully refill.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I got a bucketfull of sand and spread it around on top. But, I couldn't cover the whole surface. Oh well...
You said it yourself that you ran out of sand for the capping. You are supposed to have about 2 inches of sand on top of the whole thing. If you couldn't cover the whole surface, one would assume you didn't have the 2 inches of cap on any of the surface. I think you need more sand.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I had barely any sand, a one inch layer covering about half of all the surface.

But after capping it with more sand (salvaged from another place) last night, it is much clearer. I can see the back now, but it is still a bit cloudy. The fish were the ones clouding it all up.

But now, I can see something is terribly wrong with the limnophila stems. All the leaves except the newest ones are limp looking, and brownish. The stem I added later in the day looks fine. I must have done something wrong when I filled it the first time, like fill it too hot or use too little dechlorinator.

That was all before I added any fish...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.