The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was feeding my shrimp and one of the assassin snails came in for some too. It started fighting a shrimp for some Azoo Breed and as the shrimp tried taking it away the snail just kept reaching that "tongue" out probably over an inch. With the other antenae stetching the other way it had a wing span of like 2 inches. Its was crazy I had to take a pic.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
pretty crazy. these remind me of Nassarius snails. maybe they are related at some point in the far past. I used to keep a Nassarius distortus. N. vibex are similar too.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
snot?
You mean snout right lol? that elongated proboscis-looking thing is their mouth. the radula is near the tip of it so that it can reach far and feed. at least thats what the nassarius snails had.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is it a sign that they need food? I put five in my tank a month ago to clean out all the little snails and they did a good job. But should I be worried about them eating my shrimp if they have no snail to eat?

·
Registered
109 Posts
They are some intense killers, pond snail genocide in my 125, i see no traces of snails anymore after adding a dozen Assassins for a few months...

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Never seen that from any of my Assassin snails. Very weird.
That's because usually they are right next to the food they're eating, so they dont have to reach far ;)
but if they need to, and if they smell something that they can't reach, they'll try to stretch their mouth.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts