The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get a bigger tank (my largest is a 20L currently), but my arms aren't long enough to reach the bottom! Seriously, to get to the bottom of a 50g my arms are in past my shoulder. And if I need to use 2 hands to plant something or trim, then I can only imagine the serious soaking I'd get.

So what do the rest of the vertically challenged here do? There must be a way!

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Use long tweezers/scissors. Alternatively (or maybe in conjunction with that), when you need to plant or trim, just siphon out enough water to avoid getting soaked.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Use long tweezers/scissors. Alternatively (or maybe in conjunction with that), when you need to plant or trim, just siphon out enough water to avoid getting soaked.
+1
I have a 75g tank, and my senegalus likes to uproot plants especially stems plants. I have a 11" tweezer and scissor to make my life easier

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Find a small stepladder, or just about anything you can safely stand on.
I have a very sturdy chair I use to do maintenance now. It's really more arm length than height that's the problem. Height's adjustable easily enough.

go go gadget arms !.......wouldn't that be great ?
LOL! And now I can't get that theme song out of my head. :)

Brilliant! <smacking head> I totally didn't think about dropping the water level. Thank you! The tweezers and scissors are going to be a must even with a lowered water level, though. I tried reaching into an empty tank in the store and I had both shoulders below the rim before I touched bottom with fingertips.

Anyone have a recommendation on where to get long tweezers and scissors? Preferably inexpensively?

·
Registered
667 Posts
You can get cheap planting tools on amazon or eBay. In some situations I find it difficult to trim with the water level lowered. Plants sometimes tend to bunch up on themselves and it makes it difficult to see what you're doing. In that case I just go toss a towel on the floor and go for a dip lol.

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
You can also check out medical supply stores near you. Not usually the simple pharmacy and one or two aisles in a major store, but a pharmacy/store that is JUST that. Specializes in medical and dental tools.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Rubbermaid Step Stool from Walmart. Cheap, lightweight, sturdy, anti slip top, and waterproof. Doesn't take up much room, and you can even flip it and store stuff in it (fishy things) when not in use like a tote.
:) Stef*

·
Registered
3,350 Posts

The length makes it great for work on larger aquariums.

I acquired one genuine, and one someone made on the cheap from wood, both free.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I keep a small bench, 14"w 18"t 4'l, in front of my tank racks. I also will put a decorative bench in front of my 90 build. The benches are nice to work off of and they create a "point of pause" , encouraging visitors to sit and enjoy the aquarium.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts