The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reposted :Our fresh water tank is just four weeks old and currently hosts 14 lambchop rasboras, 4 neon tetras, 4 Zebra Loaches, 2 Chinese algea eaters, 3 ghost shrimps and 1 amano shrimp. Tank capacity is 30 gallons. Temp. Is maintained at 75, ph is 7.2, 0 ammonia, nitrate, nitrite. We change 15 - 20 % of water every two days as it is still new set up. We feed small quantities thrice a day. There is lot od hiding place, natural plants, drift woods, some amount of white algea on th glass. We also drop algea cakes thrice a week.

This is our first ever water tank : but i wonder where we are going wrong! I do appreciate

1. I noticed 1 tetra and 1 rasboro dead half eaten.
2. For no reason one amano fish is dead and turned ibto bubblegum pink at the bottom of the tank.
3. Today morning my daughter stepped on something which turned out tobe one of my amanos!! Now I notice that last amano shrimp is lurking near the filter tube on top. Could that be next?!

My water level is a bit high. I have plants going to the tank top, but now i have trimmed them.

Has anybody had similar problem?
Thanks, appreciate your time

·
Registered
194 Posts
shrimpies

Amano shrimp can be escape artists.but don't give up on them,as they have a wonderful personality.wait a few weeks then get a few more and drip acclamate them.i have some that are over four years old.be patient with your tank.it will come around.good luck. cornhusker:thumbsup: p.s a fellow ptm allways has those shrimp and they are nice sized and healthy. ZID ZULANDER is his handle.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have glass tops on my 75g and I occasionally catch six or so Amanos sitting on a leaf just an inch or so below the top. I'm convinced that they were working out an escape plan complete with balloon chair.

Do the CAEs eat the algae tabs? One or both would be my guess at the fish death. Years ago I had a Chinese Algae Eater and he terrorized my 37G and killed more fish than I care to admit. He wanted nothing to do with algae tabs either. I finally caught him but it took emptying the tank almost to the substrate and removing everything before I got lucky with the net. Fortunately, that tank wasn't planted so it wasn't that difficult to tear down or put back together. For this tank, I went with Otos and SAE (and Amanos) and steered well clear of the CAE, but that's just my opinion and preference.

For the half fish, I'd guess the amanos had a meal of it after it met its demise.

·
Registered
74 Posts
In the wild amano shrimp actually hop puddles and bogs by running over the land for short distances. Their natural habitat is swamps and bogs so they hop over land to avoid predators and/or find more food, so it's not so surprising they have a tendency to do this in aquariums as well. They don't know there isn't another bog/aquarium right next door with greener grass (so to speak) so they just do what they do. In my experience make sure your aquarium is securely covered and they will eventually just settle in.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Is your tank fully cycled? I didn't see it posted anywhere, that could be the source of all the dead fish. You stated that it is only 4 weeks old.

As for amanos, yes they can crawl on land and like to go exploring.

·
Registered
21 Posts
amanos are great shrimp, we have had 2 of them escape 1 died but we found the seccond one, mine like to clean my intake on my filter; that may be what yours are doing, I started with 10 of them and we are down to 6 they seem to be quite the canibals. the dont take anything from fish either we have witnessed them chaising my barbs arround the entire tank for buging them.

·
Registered
815 Posts
In my experience, they do need pristine water conditions, or they will die and jump out. I wouldn't bother trying to raise amanins if you have an open top. Mine died or jumped out. Red cherry shrimp were easier to raise, but they were eaten by my small fish after molting... Sigh, I w want shrimp but cannot...

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Wow.. great info in this thread:/ amano shrimp require excellent water conditions, If they do not like the water they will simply leave... they appreciate a well established system with lots if bio film to nibble between feedings. I keep amanos in 3 tanks, all open top.. not one has jumped.. some are almost a year old..
Op - sounds like your tank is still cycling, id hold off on investing in any more shrimp for a bit.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.