The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all .. Well i am new in planted aquarium hobby... Just wanted to know one thing i have bought alternanthera reineckii from online store and i recieved 3 stems.. 2 of them died after planting in 1 week i still have on stem but the problem with that one stem is its just have 2 red leaves from day one and still have that ... My tank has stable fertz and other parameters now.. but problem still persist with the one , stem is growing (hieght) but no other leaves or anything like that.. Still 2 leaves in 2 weeks as it came .. Should i do cutting or leave it like that? Is this plant Slow grower? Light is high inclusive Co2

·
Registered
16g rimless cherry shrimp, 20g cube dwarf cichlid, 40g breeder nano community.
592 Posts
Hey all .. Well i am new in planted aquarium hobby... Just wanted to know one thing i have bought alternanthera reineckii from online store and i recieved 3 stems.. 2 of them died after planting in 1 week i still have on stem but the problem with that one stem is its just have 2 red leaves from day one and still have that ... My tank has stable fertz and other parameters now.. but problem still persist with the one , stem is growing (hieght) but no other leaves or anything like that.. Still 2 leaves in 2 weeks as it came .. Should i do cutting or leave it like that? Is this plant Slow grower? Light is high inclusive Co2
Not the expert here, but a while back I got some AR Mini UNS culture cups. It all melted and then some of it came back. It's looking pretty nice right now.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Its much more touchy than the "easy " label its given. Usually it's a fast start with them and then they sort of slow and then die off. I think your plant sounds like its reached the point of no return(none being very healthy when you got them) and you might try again with tissue culture plants. Those are already with roots and I think that makes a world of difference. I have A. r. rosaefolia and that is considered the very easiest of the Alternanthera. I would agree so far. Plenty of light and iron helps.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
But the one stem remaining seems healthy its not melting just growing tall carrying those 2 leaves ... anyway i cn do cutting might help? Fertz seems sufficient becoz my other plants are thriving... if cutting than plz tell how to do it

Not the expert here, but a while back I got some AR Mini UNS culture cups. It all melted and then some of it came back. It's looking pretty nice right now.
How much time did it took for them to grow back in good shape? And how u do cutting and propogation of it?

·
Registered
217 Posts
If it has adequate CO2, it can turn around in a matter of weeks. I had a couple of stems in poor shape with tiny leaves, covered in GSA from an old setup. I removed the affected leaves and planted it in my new soil capped scape with EI dosing and CO2 injection. In three weeks it’s flush with healthy growth.

A picture of their status would help, you can’t cut and leave a stump behind with no leaves.

·
Registered
16g rimless cherry shrimp, 20g cube dwarf cichlid, 40g breeder nano community.
592 Posts
How much time did it took for them to grow back in good shape? And how u do cutting and propogation of it?
It took a few weeks. Since it's a small plant to start with I haven't needed to propagate it yet. Oh.. I run CO2 on that particular tank. It probably does make a difference.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Normal start up issues. Have you been tracking your nitrogen cycle?
I keep changing 50per of water in 7days ....

They are growing tall but leaves have this color. My java hairgrass some are growing tall and some melted away... using a Led 10wAtt ... close to tank .... can light be a issue?

·
Registered
400 Posts
For the record my A.roseafolia has grown huge from the small in vitro bag of stems from Petco ( or pet smart?) and has been well worth cost. I'm really starting to like plants like that..you get so much coverage if you untangle and spread out..and they adapt better than the usual cuttings in a bunch together method since the 1920's.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.