The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
This is going to be a good one. The prep work alone is quite the teaser of whats to come!

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
ok here we go, get all the stuff ready :D

additive ready

put some soil and flat them up, this tool is pretty nice :D

ok brush the side and corner

wood and stone in

now use the brush clean the side and corner again

mist and see the effect

notice any difference?? :D haha can't find the difference?? see next pic

fixed ugly black cable by give it a cover :D

with all the lights on the cable won't be that obvious :D, also the stone on the wood and behind the wood will get removed once wood stink.

now inside the cabinet

more will come :D enjoy !!

·
Registered
40 Posts
You're off to a great start that driftwood looks fantastic. If you can try to put fewer rocks off different sizes and see how that looks. They all look too uniform but it's your tank so in the end use what you like the most. Good job.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
I would keep the rocks, the barrier between the sand and soil is needed, because without it, it will become a maintenance nightmare to keep each separate. Mixed they do not look so great. This advice comes straight from Aqua Journal Vol 205. If you notice at the Nature Aquarium Gallery, all tanks with cosmetic sand have a barrier of rocks to separate the sand.

Otherwise looking great! :)

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Very nice...what did you use to wrap the balck cord...that made it look so much more cleaner
I use "spiral cut tubing", can be purchased in Fry's with different size

Very nice driftwood but IMHO
the rocks are not needed, maybe
just one or two of them will do.
those rock are use to block the soil come to sand and with moss, anubias petite, NLJF between wood and rock, they won't be that obvious

You're off to a great start that driftwood looks fantastic. If you can try to put fewer rocks off different sizes and see how that looks. They all look too uniform but it's your tank so in the end use what you like the most. Good job.
reason to choose the bigger rock because I want to level the side so later on when I put anubias petite and NLJF plant's leaves will not easily touch down to the sand.

I want to make effect like this :D

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I would keep the rocks, the barrier between the sand and soil is needed, because without it, it will become a maintenance nightmare to keep each separate. Mixed they do not look so great. This advice comes straight from Aqua Journal Vol 205. If you notice at the Nature Aquarium Gallery, all tanks with cosmetic sand have a barrier of rocks to separate the sand.

Otherwise looking great! :)

you are correct

·
Banned
4,901 Posts
Very nice man!!!

-Sent from my Samsung Note, a "Phablet"

·
Registered
838 Posts
This a great looking scape! I am planing to make a scape very similar to this and I have a few questions. First off what kind of wood is that, and how many pieces did you use? And how much of the 9 liter bag of aqua soil and 5.8 liter of La Plata did you actually use?

I can't wait to see what plants you put in. I have noticed there are two styles of NA, one is a darker style with broad leaved plants like java fern, bolbitus, and anubias. The other has lighter stem plants and foreground plants. It appears you like the darker style from the pictures you posted.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
I can't wait to see what plants you put in. I have noticed there are two styles of NA, one is a darker style with broad leaved plants like java fern, bolbitus, and anubias. The other has lighter stem plants and foreground plants. It appears you like the darker style from the pictures you posted.
You are right, those are epiphytic layouts and the latter (brighter) are heliophytic. The reason Amano gives is; those plants are often found growing in similar environments in nature, so by extension they look good when placed together. A sense of wabi sabi when viewed.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts